Old 01-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Steve Gross

Default Garden fence recommendation?

I have an 8x8 foot vegetable garden. Plus lots of small animals that
eat my vegetables. I put up a chicken wire fence last year but that
didn't stop anything. I prefer not to dig a trench around my garden
to bury the chicken wire plus I'm not sure it would help any way. Are
there any recommendations for a commercial fence or do it yourself
that's easy to install but also goes in the ground a few inches?

Steve Gross
IT Manager
Fette America
(973) 586-8722
Old 01-06-2004, 06:03 PM
dps

Steve Gross wrote:
I have an 8x8 foot vegetable garden. Plus lots of small animals that
eat my vegetables. I put up a chicken wire fence last year but that
didn't stop anything. I prefer not to dig a trench around my garden
to bury the chicken wire plus I'm not sure it would help any way. Are
there any recommendations for a commercial fence or do it yourself
that's easy to install but also goes in the ground a few inches?

A simple fence will generally do the job if the animals think that
there's enough for them outside the fence. Rabbits and woodchucks like
broadleaf plants such as clover. Plant some in your yard and put a fence
around the garden. The fence doesn't have to be buried: it just needs to
make it difficult (it's unlikely that you will be able to make it
impossible) for them to get in. As long as there's something outside,
they'll take the easier food and not bother your garden.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:40:40 -0400, Steve Gross
wrote:

I have an 8x8 foot vegetable garden. Plus lots of small animals that
eat my vegetables. I put up a chicken wire fence last year but that
didn't stop anything. I prefer not to dig a trench around my garden
to bury the chicken wire plus I'm not sure it would help any way. Are
there any recommendations for a commercial fence or do it yourself
that's easy to install but also goes in the ground a few inches?

Steve Gross
IT Manager
Fette America
(973) 586-8722

I used a few cedar logs (3-6" dia) at the bottom of the chicken wire
fence, then used a staple gun to fasten it. You could use white oak,
cypress, redwood, fence posts--other woods could be used but expect
rot in 2 or 3 years. Without the fence fixed to the ground, animals
will crawl and dig under it.