Old 02-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Boelkowj

Default Avocado Tree

I planted a tree maybe 7 yrs ago here in San Diego from a seed. Will it bear
fruit? I think it is a small unusual type Avocado maybe from Mexico. We bought
the fruit at a grocery store and I remember that it had a very buttery exotic
sort of texture not like the typical avocado purchased here in San Diego. The
tree looks very healthy but no flowers at all. What can I expect? Thanks.

Larry
Old 02-06-2004, 07:02 PM
M. Tiefert

Boelkowj wrote:
I planted a tree maybe 7 yrs ago here in San Diego from a seed. Will it bear
fruit? I think it is a small unusual type Avocado maybe from Mexico. We bought
the fruit at a grocery store and I remember that it had a very buttery exotic
sort of texture not like the typical avocado purchased here in San Diego. The
tree looks very healthy but no flowers at all. What can I expect? Thanks.

Larry

Hi Larry,

You don't say where in San Diego - but they'll certainly grow in
Escondido and in the San Pasquale valley. They're grown commercially all
around San Diego county, at least inland.

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Richard Cline

I would not be confident about getting good fruit from an avocado raised
from a seed. Sometimes a seed will produce a fruitful tree but most all
the avocados grown in California are grafted. In fact, many of them are
double grafted. They start a seed, then graft on the bearing stock,
followed by grafting on the preferred rootstock.

If you really want fruit, purchase a tree from a nursery.

Dick

Old 03-06-2004, 08:06 PM
len gardener

g'day,

generally if you want good quality fruit from an avacado you need to
buy a grafted variety, there most likely will be varieties to suit
your area.

from seed they could take up to 14 years to fruit that is if they
fruit at all if they do i may be very poor quality fruit and not be
representative of the fruit the seed came from.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

[IMG] code is On

Placement of Avocado Tree W[_2_] Gardening 4 25-10-2012 02:29 AM
avocado tree ken[_2_] Garden Photos 2 25-03-2007 10:36 PM
blackening on avocado tree branchlets Richard Wright Edible Gardening 2 12-01-2007 07:47 PM
Avocado tree looking ratty... Norm L Australia 3 25-10-2004 12:49 AM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM