GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/62987-drilling-holes-tree-stumps.html)

The Watcher 09-06-2004 12:24 AM

For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:01:37 -0000, (Bill Oliver) wrote:

In article ,
The Watcher wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 07:26:19 -0700, davefr wrote:

"Pump diesel into the soil"???

No, you fill the holes you drilled in the stump with the diesel. It'll
saturate the stump and then burn. Get it??

Ah, so you're sure that none of that diesel will go into the soil? I wouldn't
bet on that happening. Get it? ;)
Diesel isn't one of the things I like pumping into the ground.

Your problem may be that you are drilling holes into the ground,
rather than into the stump. Try drilling into the stump. That
way you won't "pump" diesel into the ground.

If you think ANY stump is watertight you might want to try drilling into a few
of them. I wouldn't bet on any stump containing anything completely. Yes, you
would be pumping it into the stump, but it will be escaping from the stump into
the ground. Stumps interact with the soil around them. That's their purpose. If
they were liquid-tight they wouldn't do much good for the trees, would they?

Bill Oliver 09-06-2004 12:25 AM

The Watcher wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:01:37 -0000, (Bill Oliver) wrote:

If you think ANY stump is watertight you might want to try drilling into a few
of them. I wouldn't bet on any stump containing anything completely. Yes, you
would be pumping it into the stump, but it will be escaping from the stump into
the ground. Stumps interact with the soil around them. That's their purpose. If
they were liquid-tight they wouldn't do much good for the trees, would they?

There is a difference between "pumping diesel into the ground" and saying
that there *might* be some diesel that is incompletely burned that escapes
into the ground.

So, let's say I pump 1/2 liter of diesel into a into a 1 meter high 2 meter diameter
stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you
actually claim will be (a) unburnt and (b) in the ground?

billo

davefr 09-06-2004 12:28 AM

For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

I bet there would be less fuel that manages to saturate/permeate
completly thru the stump and finds it's way into the soil and remains
unburnt than the fuel you spill filling up your lawnmower tank!!

Abe M. 09-06-2004 01:07 AM

For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message ...
No chemical will desstroy the stump except maybe fuming sulfuric acid
which would turn it into charcoal. The chemicals put in stumps are
just nutrients to speed growth of decay organisms--primarily any
nitrate.

You are technically right, but in combination with rain and the
elements, the stump will decompose. I used a 1" spade bit, drilled a
lot of holes and poured composting chemical into the holes. It
literally took years for the stump to wear away. A new tree sits in
its place.

Bill Oliver 09-06-2004 01:12 AM

For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

In article ,
escapee wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:39:24 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
opined:

Yup....

In composting of woody material, nitrogen is needed--if not available in the
form of green clippings it can be always be added in chemical form.

Not sure about the sugar though, as in this case there is already plenty of
carbon in the stump.

Yes, but the carbon in the stump is not immediately available for it to mix with
the N and get the heat process started. It's just a temporary expeditor, or
catalyst to help the N work faster. It also feeds the microbes which will
further break down the stump and large roots.

How long would it take for a stump say, oh, 6 ft (or 1.8 meters) in diameter and
2 feet (or 0.6 meter) in height to decompose this way given a Southeast US
climate?

billo