Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 AM
Janice

Default Spider Plant

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 01:55:47 GMT, Jitty
wrote:

The plant is getting lots of light and yes i guess the word "babies" is
not the correct term to use rather call them plantlets. anyways i
fertilize every 2 weeks using miracle grow. As for watering i have been
watering it every 3 to 5 days making sure that the soil is dry. All i
want is for this plant to start growing them.. ive been waiting
patiently with no luck to-date.

Is the plant pot bound yet? They generally start putting out the
runners when they feel a bit cramped I tended to just turn them back
to root in the pot to make it bushier at first. Then I let them send
out runners and dangle plantlets around until they get in the way at
which time I'd whack them off and dump them in a glass of water or
stuff them in a pot and heavily water them at first, then they'd root.
Hard to stop them from rooting. They can take a lot of abuse.

Janice

Cereus-validus wrote:
*What do you mean babies?

The adventitious plantlets are produced on the flower stems. It the
plant
isn't getting enough light to bloom, then you won't get plantlets. Do
you
fertilize it? How often do you water?

"Jitty" wrote in message
s.com...
I have been growing my spider plant for the past year and it has

done
great... My only problem is is that it will not seem to produce

babies.
does anyone have any suggestions/ideas that might help?
--
Jitty

*

Old 09-06-2004, 03:22 AM
Jim Voege

wrote:

The plant is getting lots of light and yes i guess the word "babies" is
not the correct term to use rather call them plantlets. anyways i
fertilize every 2 weeks using miracle grow. As for watering i have been
watering it every 3 to 5 days making sure that the soil is dry. All i
want is for this plant to start growing them.. ive been waiting
patiently with no luck to-date.

Is the plant pot bound yet? They generally start putting out the
runners when they feel a bit cramped I tended to just turn them back
to root in the pot to make it bushier at first. Then I let them send
out runners and dangle plantlets around until they get in the way at
which time I'd whack them off and dump them in a glass of water or
stuff them in a pot and heavily water them at first, then they'd root.
Hard to stop them from rooting. They can take a lot of abuse.

My experience is the same. Dead easy. It's been a while but I think I
probably boosted the odds a bit by giving them a bit of rooting hormone.
Otherwise I just screwed them into a 4" pot and kept them moist for a while.

Jim

Old 09-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Registered User

Yes the plant is in a pot and has been for the past year it has grown farely large.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Voege

Old 10-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Phisherman in news:hak4c0pqqeu9lhu0rbmj4iv3slh374e0cl@
4ax.com:

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 21:55:52 GMT, Jitty
wrote:

I have been growing my spider plant for the past year and it has done
great... My only problem is is that it will not seem to produce babies.
does anyone have any suggestions/ideas that might help?

They produce runners when pot bound. Have patience.

"They produce runners when ..." no matter how you try to stop them :-)

Old 10-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Blues Ma in :

Amy D wrote:

Mine is loaded with babies, hangs in the sun with little water.

But I've never had luck with the babies.* Do you stick them in dirt
or water?

you could arc their stems back into 'mama's' pot. soon the babies wil have
roots. now, give them their own pot (or other growing media - see below
:-) )

amy

Try keeping them on a sunny table or shelf and put each of the babies
on the surface of some sandy potting soil "without" disconnecting
from the mother plant until the runners have rooted.
Just ring the parent plant with cut off styro cups and then when it's
time to cut the cords, your plantlets will be in ready to go
containers for plant sales, gifts or growing till they're ready for a
larger home.

Dorothy

if you let a slow-moving relative sleep nearby, baby 'spider-plants' will
begin to thrive among your relative's nose-hairs.
http://www.scfirearms.org/psma/photos_files/psma32.jpg

Chlorophytum, real observations and...

if the tops dry off or if a bird chews the tops off, they'll grow back.

in appropriate location, good tough ground cover with moderate irrigation
and/or deeper shade (trade-off)

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hor...nts/spider.htm

I tried tossing (true) seeds in pots, but never saw seedlings.

non-variegated cvs are toughest, but all cvs bleach in lots of sun.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/natal/amp/ampel.htm