Old 05-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Registered User

Default Spider Plant

I have been growing my spider plant for the past year and it has done great... My only problem is is that it will not seem to produce babies. does anyone have any suggestions/ideas that might help?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Cereus-validus

What do you mean babies?

The adventitious plantlets are produced on the flower stems. It the plant
isn't getting enough light to bloom, then you won't get plantlets. Do you
fertilize it? How often do you water?

s.com...
--
Jitty

Old 06-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Amy D

Mine is loaded with babies, hangs in the sun with little water.

But I've never had luck with the babies. Do you stick them in dirt or
water?

amy

Cereus-validus wrote:

What do you mean babies?

The adventitious plantlets are produced on the flower stems. It the plant
isn't getting enough light to bloom, then you won't get plantlets. Do you
fertilize it? How often do you water?

s.com...

Old 06-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 21:55:52 GMT, Jitty
wrote:

I have been growing my spider plant for the past year and it has done
great... My only problem is is that it will not seem to produce babies.
does anyone have any suggestions/ideas that might help?

They produce runners when pot bound. Have patience.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Blues Ma

Amy D wrote:

Mine is loaded with babies, hangs in the sun with little water.

But I've never had luck with the babies.* Do you stick them in dirt or
water?

amy

Try keeping them on a sunny table or shelf and put each of the babies
on the surface of some sandy potting soil "without" disconnecting
from the mother plant until the runners have rooted.
Just ring the parent plant with cut off styro cups and then when it's
time to cut the cords, your plantlets will be in ready to go containers
for plant sales, gifts or growing till they're ready for a larger home.

Dorothy
*

*

Cereus-validus wrote:

What do you mean babies?

The adventitious plantlets are produced on the flower stems. It the plant
isn't getting enough light to bloom, then you won't get plantlets. Do you
fertilize it? How often do you water?

s.com...

Old 06-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Amy D

Blues Ma wrote:
Amy D wrote:

Mine is loaded with babies, hangs in the sun with little water.

But I've never had luck with the babies.* Do you stick them in dirt or
water?

amy

Try keeping them on a sunny table or shelf and put each of the babies
on the surface of some sandy potting soil "without" disconnecting
from the mother plant until the runners have rooted.
Just ring the parent plant with cut off styro cups and then when it's
time to cut the cords, your plantlets will be in ready to go containers
for plant sales, gifts or growing till they're ready for a larger home.

Dorothy
*

Thanks!

amy

*

Cereus-validus wrote:

What do you mean babies?

The adventitious plantlets are produced on the flower stems. It the plant
isn't getting enough light to bloom, then you won't get plantlets. Do you
fertilize it? How often do you water?

news.com...

Old 06-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Cereus-validus

Not babies. They are called plantlets.

Maybe the reason you never had luck propagating them is because you are
babying them.

Wait until the plantlets have produced aerial roots then you can put them in
water or moist soil. If you put them directly in soil, treat them like
seedlings so that the roots can become established.

Cereus-validus wrote:

What do you mean babies?

The adventitious plantlets are produced on the flower stems. It the

plant
isn't getting enough light to bloom, then you won't get plantlets. Do

you
fertilize it? How often do you water?

s.com...

Old 06-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Registered User

The plant is getting lots of light and yes i guess the word "babies" is not the correct term to use rather call them plantlets. anyways i fertilize every 2 weeks using miracle grow. As for watering i have been watering it every 3 to 5 days making sure that the soil is dry. All i want is for this plant to start growing them.. ive been waiting patiently with no luck to-date.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cereus-validus
What do you mean babies?

The adventitious plantlets are produced on the flower stems. It the plant
isn't getting enough light to bloom, then you won't get plantlets. Do you
fertilize it? How often do you water?

s.com...

Old 06-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Amy D

Cereus-validus wrote:
Not babies. They are called plantlets.

Maybe the reason you never had luck propagating them is because you are
babying them.

Wait until the plantlets have produced aerial roots then you can put them in
water or moist soil. If you put them directly in soil, treat them like
seedlings so that the roots can become established.

The couple of them I tried had little roots and I stuck them in soil. I
might not have kept them watered enough. I haven't attempted
again....but several people have told me they will drop off and land in
the flowerbed below and begin taking over. They haven't yet......

amy

Cereus-validus wrote:

What do you mean babies?

The adventitious plantlets are produced on the flower stems. It the

plant

isn't getting enough light to bloom, then you won't get plantlets. Do

you

fertilize it? How often do you water?

news.com...

Old 06-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Buzzy

wrote:

I have been growing my spider plant for the past year and it has done
great... My only problem is is that it will not seem to produce babies.

They produce runners when pot bound. Have patience.

I have made what I call 'spider bags' before which are cloth squares
filled with seed starting medium which are loosely tied around the base
of each plantlet. To moisten, I dunked each bag in water and gently
squeezed out the excess and in no time, roots had developed inside the
bag. I would detach the plantlet from the host, open the bags slowly and
placed them in potting soil. Worked like a charm and it was funny
looking at this spider plant with these 'bags' hanging on it. I was able
to get quite a few new plants from the host plant too!

Buzzy
Old 08-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Jim Voege

wrote:

The plant is getting lots of light and yes i guess the word "babies" is
not the correct term to use rather call them plantlets. anyways i
fertilize every 2 weeks using miracle grow. As for watering i have been
watering it every 3 to 5 days making sure that the soil is dry. All i
want is for this plant to start growing them.. ive been waiting
patiently with no luck to-date.

Is the plant pot bound yet? They generally start putting out the
runners when they feel a bit cramped I tended to just turn them back
to root in the pot to make it bushier at first. Then I let them send
out runners and dangle plantlets around until they get in the way at
which time I'd whack them off and dump them in a glass of water or
stuff them in a pot and heavily water them at first, then they'd root.
Hard to stop them from rooting. They can take a lot of abuse.

My experience is the same. Dead easy. It's been a while but I think I
probably boosted the odds a bit by giving them a bit of rooting hormone.
Otherwise I just screwed them into a 4" pot and kept them moist for a while.

Jim