Old 09-06-2004, 05:25 AM
Gary

Default Cheat grass origins?

I was reading Janice's post about cheat grass overtaking the native
grasses in Idaho due to overgrazing. We had the same problem in
Colorado. Does anyone know where cheat grass came from? Is it
indigenous to North America? We also refer to it as "wild oats." I
don't know its scientific name.
Thanks for any info.
Gary
Old 09-06-2004, 05:25 AM
Gaby Chaudry

Gary,

I was reading Janice's post about cheat grass overtaking the native
grasses in Idaho due to overgrazing. We had the same problem in
Colorado. Does anyone know where cheat grass came from? Is it
indigenous to North America?

The scientific name is Bromus tectorum.
AFAIK, it originally comes from Central Europe. At least i read that it's
indigenous to Germany....

Best wishes
Gaby

--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry
http://www.gaby.de/bilder/

Old 09-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Mike LaMana

I worked on Rangelands in Oregon and Nevada for a season for BLM. I think I
remember hearing that in came over in livestock and was 'passed' into our
ecosystems that way. I believe it was locally attributed to Basque herders
in the Malheur County, OR area...Not sure if this is an exurban legend.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Gary,

Old 09-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Gary

Gaby & Mike-
Thanks for your responses & info. Having the cheat grass up on my
hillside is sort of a two-edged sword. The good part is that it helps
cut down on soil erosion. The disadvantages are that it's a fire
hazard when it dries out and it's a real pain to pick the seeds out of
your shoes & socks after walking through it.
Take care,
Gary
Old 10-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Amy D

Gary wrote:
Gaby & Mike-
Thanks for your responses & info. Having the cheat grass up on my
hillside is sort of a two-edged sword. The good part is that it helps
cut down on soil erosion. The disadvantages are that it's a fire
hazard when it dries out and it's a real pain to pick the seeds out of
your shoes & socks after walking through it.
Take care,
Gary

It's also awful if you have floppy-eared dogs!

I grew up in western Nebraska and our dogs were in the vet regularly to
have cheat grass pulled out from deep in their ear.

amy

Old 10-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Gary

It's also awful if you have floppy-eared dogs!

I grew up in western Nebraska and our dogs were in the vet regularly to
have cheat grass pulled out from deep in their ear.

amy

How right you are, Amy! I remember as a kid we had a couple of cocker
spaniels, and they had a miserable time with the cheat grass getting
down in their ears. Cockleburrs were rough on them too, although they
didn't get all the way down into the ear canal like the cheat grass
seeds did. One of the dogs got really nasty about it because we had
to take him to the vet so often.
Gary

[IMG] code is On

plant origins? Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 6 15-09-2005 06:38 PM
Onion planting / possible cheat Phil L United Kingdom 4 24-06-2005 03:24 PM
Cheat grass origins? Gary Gardening 2 09-06-2004 03:33 AM
Pennsylvania: 'Orchid Origins' at Phipps spotlights exotic blossoms Reka Orchids 0 18-01-2004 07:43 AM