Old 14-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default plant origins?

Been trying to track down where the plant Lapageria rosea 'Nash Court' came
from originally (and when) so far I have found 4 places in the UK that go
under the name of Nash Court, so does anyone know the history of this plant.
I have a plant flowering at the moment which came via this group from
Belgium as a cutting courtesy of Roger Van Loon, so if you still read the
posts Roger, Many thanks :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Brian

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Been trying to track down where the plant Lapageria rosea 'Nash Court'

came
from originally (and when) so far I have found 4 places in the UK that go
under the name of Nash Court, so does anyone know the history of this

plant.
I have a plant flowering at the moment which came via this group from
Belgium as a cutting courtesy of Roger Van Loon, so if you still read the
posts Roger, Many thanks :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I understood it was raised and named by Rennie Moffat [head gardener]
at Penheale Launceston. He had a large collection and was the leading
cultivator of Lapagerias. He actually grew them quite well out-doors with
winter protection. He gave me a number of specimens~ but I've had no real
success. He was a lovely man and a very special gardener~~ he will be
missed.
Try a Google 'Moffat Lapageria'.
Sorry not to be able to help more.
Best Wises Brian.

Old 14-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Been trying to track down where the plant Lapageria rosea 'Nash Court'

came
from originally (and when) so far I have found 4 places in the UK that go
under the name of Nash Court, so does anyone know the history of this

plant.
I have a plant flowering at the moment which came via this group from
Belgium as a cutting courtesy of Roger Van Loon, so if you still read the
posts Roger, Many thanks :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

In answer to my own post, someone outside this group has sent me the
information (1884 Nash Court Faversham Kent, a Mr Humphries the gardener.)
and told me they found it in the "Gardener's Cronicle" Anyone know where one
can access these or do you need paper copies?

Old 14-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

[...]

No it was before Rennie's time although he stocked it, he was responsible
for Albiflora, Flesh Pink, Penheal and Beatrix Anderson. He also propagated
Wisley Spotted and Wisley Picotee on behalf of the RHS.
Do you still have any of the original material? I am off to Penheal in 3
weeks on a mission to try and get hold of some if any remains. Unfortunately
Rennie had died before my interest got started and I never met him but lots
of gardening friends had, so I have heard a lot about him.

Old 15-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Cereus-validus.......

No babe, you need the issue, year and page numbers and then take a trip to a
place called a library to see it.

Old 15-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Cereus-validus......." wrote in message
. ..
No babe, you need the issue, year and page numbers and then take a trip to

place called a library to see it.

Babe ! :~)
We have obviously not met!
I do have the year issue and page number, but being inherently lazy kind of
hoped someone may have put the older ones on line. The Library will have to
wait until winter is here.

Old 15-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Brian

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry Charlie~ my collection was lost in the winter of '83 along
with many of my other marginals. Rennie was a very private person and
would have been a great man in any field he chose. Totally dedicated. I
only met him as I was a family friend. I was never aware that the gardens
were opened by the owners and would be surprised if much of Rennie's work
remains other than with Camellias and Rhododendrons.
I understood that one of his daughters was writing his biography.
Best Wishes Brian.

Cheat grass origins? Gary Gardening 5 10-06-2004 10:02 PM
Cheat grass origins? Gary Gardening 2 09-06-2004 03:33 AM
Pennsylvania: 'Orchid Origins' at Phipps spotlights exotic blossoms Reka Orchids 0 18-01-2004 07:43 AM