Old 09-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Shellie Cahill

Default Mulch/Posion Sumac??

Has anyone ever heard of getting poison ivy/oak/ or sumac from mulch??? A
couple of weeks ago I decided to try this black Eucalyptus mulch and three
days later I awoke with this weeping rash that I had to go get a cortizone
shot for today. One of my customers said they got poison sumac from mulch
and it took a while to heal??? Is this true???

Old 09-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Vox Humana

"Shellie Cahill" wrote in message
Has anyone ever heard of getting poison ivy/oak/ or sumac from mulch??? A
couple of weeks ago I decided to try this black Eucalyptus mulch and three
days later I awoke with this weeping rash that I had to go get a cortizone
shot for today. One of my customers said they got poison sumac from mulch
and it took a while to heal??? Is this true???

It seems possible. While I was at the landscape supply yard last year they
were accepting all sorts of crap that people were hauling in - truck loads
of trees, bags of yard waste, and so on. It was obvious that most of it was
from areas that were being cleared. They were feeding it into a big
chipper. I'm sure that no one was picking out the poison ivy and other rash
causing plants. The oils that irritate you skin can be active for a long,
long time.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Betsy

I know that about 10 years ago I got a horrible rash from hardwood mulch.
But just so you know, eucalyptus is an irritant to the skin for most folks.