Old 09-06-2004, 02:46 PM
emerald

Default newbie with question on pruning azaleas

I recently moved to a 20+ year old townhouse with a very neglected yard.

Some of the rhodos and azaleas (I have about ten) are bare and leggy and in
dire need of severe pruning. Most of the stuff I've read about pruning them
talks about shaping, but mine need a lot more than that.

I'm considering taking off about 50% of the branches this year and repeating
that next year but I've no experience with these plants and wonder if this
is too much. All comments welcomed!

emerald

Old 09-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Penny Morgan

You can go ahead and prune them way back. You may not have any blooms next
year, but don't worry about it. Pruning and fertilizing of azaleas should
be done once they have finished blooming in the spring. Once you prune them
back, they will fill out with more dense branching, but may not bloom.
You'll be doing them a favor and getting fuller bushes for the future.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7 - North Carolina

Old 09-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Travis

emerald wrote:

I recently moved to a 20+ year old townhouse with a very neglected yard.

Some of the rhodos and azaleas (I have about ten) are bare and leggy and in
dire need of severe pruning. Most of the stuff I've read about pruning them
talks about shaping, but mine need a lot more than that.

I'm considering taking off about 50% of the branches this year and repeating
that next year but I've no experience with these plants and wonder if this
is too much. All comments welcomed!

Most would advise to only prune severely one third every year for
three years.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington where the Rhododendron is the state flower.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:49 PM
news.individual.net

I live in Florida. I have cut 5 foot high azaleas down to 2 feet, with no
problems whatsoever. The prior comment that you may not get blooms next
cycle is correct, but the plants will come out real strong and more robost
and thick.

Good Luck !!

--James--

Old 09-06-2004, 02:51 PM
David Ross

emerald wrote:

I recently moved to a 20+ year old townhouse with a very neglected yard.

Some of the rhodos and azaleas (I have about ten) are bare and leggy and in
dire need of severe pruning. Most of the stuff I've read about pruning them
talks about shaping, but mine need a lot more than that.

I'm considering taking off about 50% of the branches this year and repeating
that next year but I've no experience with these plants and wonder if this
is too much. All comments welcomed!

I prune my azaleas about once every three years. I did it this
year, cutting each plant just as the last flower faded. In a few
cases, I started on one side of a plant while flowers still bloomed
on the other side. I took shrubs over 3 ft tall and reduced them
to 1 ft, mostly to bare branches. As soon as they were pruned, I
fed them with a commercial azalea and camellia food. They are
already throwing new shoots.

These are evergreen azaleas (southern indica?). From past
performance, I expect them to bloom next spring.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 09-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Roy

Well after having some very badly neglect azaleas myself that were as
tall as my house and taller, I just knew I had to do somehting with
them so I could get sunlight back in my house and see out of the
windows. I cut them way back to well below bottom of the window
heights, and other than not having as many or no blooms the next year
they came out great. They are nicer and much fuller now. IMHO its
pretty hard to kill a well established azalea by pruning. Their old
and new wood is full of buds that will push out and give new stems
when wood or limbs are cut off. The pruning will stimulate them to
erupt and start new.

I had gone by the 1/3 rule but soon found on azaleas its virtually
impossible to harm them and other than having scragly looking plants
for a period of time they will do fine.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 16-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Jim Lewis

"news.individual.net" wrote in message

I live in Florida. I have cut 5 foot high azaleas down to 2

feet, with no
problems whatsoever. The prior comment that you may not get

blooms next
cycle is correct, but the plants will come out real strong and

more robost
and thick.

You can cut them back to stumps; they'll sprout new branches and
in a year or so will be in good shape. Then you can keep them
trimmed to shape.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Blessed
statistics: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville!
Population: 2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL =
6850

[IMG] code is On

Confused about pruning azaleas and rhodies Patty Winter Gardening 10 10-06-2008 03:46 PM
Pruning azaleas and rhododendrons? John Lloyd[_2_] United Kingdom 15 23-05-2008 03:46 PM
HELP Pruning azaleas Mark Lawns 3 27-04-2004 04:06 AM
Pruning Azaleas (Formosa) - Help Berob Gardening 3 14-05-2003 09:08 PM
Newbie Question - Pruning a Clematis Daphne Dean United Kingdom 7 09-04-2003 07:21 PM