Old 10-06-2004, 06:02 AM
MisNomer

Default shopping trip

Today my friend and I went to a store to get a few plants, ya right, she bought
some annuals - then we went to a real garden centre store, wow I couldn't resist
the perennials, english lavender, johnny jump-ups, violas, dwarf balloon flower.
I get home and think - where am I going to put these pretty little flowers....

I think the jump ups should look nice in front of the Iris, and the violas with
the flax, and the balloon flower just off to the side of Iris bed.

My question, how close can you plant one plant next to another? Do they end up
killing each other or can they co-exist in the same area? The weeds don't seem
to mind getting too close, and the flowers don't seem to mind the weeds.

The lavendar is going in its own pot until the fall when I will bring it in for
the winter.

take care
Liz

Old 10-06-2004, 01:02 PM
David J Bockman

It really depends on your personal tastes, Miss Nomer. I've crammed Jump-ups
into strawberry jars with almost no room left, and I've also spaced them at
more reasonable distances apart in the border. They don't spread a great
deal during the growing season (at least where I am), so try to picture how
you'd like them to look at maturity.

Dave