Old 13-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Nanci Donacki

Default Help with Dogwood

I am hoping someone can give me some advice/help. My recently planted
dogwood tree looks dead after a month. All the leaves are withered and
crisp. It's been a rainu spring. 've been working to keep a lot of excess
water away from the tree, but my efforts now seem in vain.
Is there any hope for this tree or will I need to replace it.
Thanks in advance.
Nanci

Old 13-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Photos and location info world help, but it sounds like anthracnose disease.
On an established plant maybe not such a big deal; on a small, newly
installed one may be more of a problem. Where are you, how big is the plant,
is it a cultivar, etc... Need more info

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

hlink.net...

Old 13-06-2004, 03:02 PM
don't e-mail me

Nanci Donacki wrote:
I am hoping someone can give me some advice/help. My recently planted
dogwood tree looks dead after a month. All the leaves are withered and
crisp. It's been a rainu spring. 've been working to keep a lot of excess
water away from the tree, but my efforts now seem in vain.
Is there any hope for this tree or will I need to replace it.
Thanks in advance.
Nanci

Your tree was planted too deeply. It is dead. Replace it.

Old 13-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Your tree was planted too deeply. It is dead. Replace it.

I wish I had you level of insight. Very impressive.

Old 13-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Quantum Foam Guy

"Nanci Donacki" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I am hoping someone can give me some advice/help. My recently planted
dogwood tree looks dead after a month. All the leaves are withered and
crisp. It's been a rainu spring. 've been working to keep a lot of

excess
water away from the tree, but my efforts now seem in vain.
Is there any hope for this tree or will I need to replace it.

Dogwoods, particularly in southern climates, don't like full sun.

Old 13-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Nanci Donacki

Thanks for all the advice. The tree is about 4 feet tall, and is located in
full sun. Guess I'll need to replace it with something else.
Thanks again.
-ned

Old 14-06-2004, 01:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

I'm in Houston and the latest I plant these is March. They are cool
season plants and bloom very early spring down here. Yours may have had
blooms if planted a month ago. If you are on the same parallel as
Houston and planted one of these a month ago, it may have been too late.
I normally transplant these in Dec Jan.

http://www.noble.org/imagegallery/Wo...afDogwood.html
http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.co...nus_Rough.html

Nanci Donacki wrote:
=

I am hoping someone can give me some advice/help. My recently planted
dogwood tree looks dead after a month. All the leaves are withered and=

crisp. It's been a rainu spring. 've been working to keep a lot of ex=

cess
water away from the tree, but my efforts now seem in vain.
Is there any hope for this tree or will I need to replace it.
Thanks in advance.
Nanci

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal