Old 21-06-2004, 08:02 PM
welsh dragon

Default Crepe Myrtle

We have a small multi-trunk crepe myrtle tree in our back yard. It is
around 6 foot tall and was planted about 3 years ago. We are in the Texas
panhandle in zone 6 and it has survived well over the past couple of winters
and each year put on a very good display of flowers. This year however,
although the top growth appears very healthy and it is covered with flower
buds I am a little concerned as the bark is pealing from the trunks to
reveal green wood underneath. Two of the trunks are now conpletely without
bark and the third is only about 20% covered. Is this a normal occurrence of
does it indicate that the tree is in trouble?
We would appreciate any advice or information.
Thanks in advance

Sarah and Shawn

Old 21-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Sunflower

"welsh dragon" wrote in message
We have a small multi-trunk crepe myrtle tree in our back yard. It is
around 6 foot tall and was planted about 3 years ago. We are in the Texas
panhandle in zone 6 and it has survived well over the past couple of

winters
and each year put on a very good display of flowers. This year however,
although the top growth appears very healthy and it is covered with flower
buds I am a little concerned as the bark is pealing from the trunks to
reveal green wood underneath. Two of the trunks are now conpletely without
bark and the third is only about 20% covered. Is this a normal occurrence

of
does it indicate that the tree is in trouble?
We would appreciate any advice or information.
Thanks in advance

Sarah and Shawn

The exfoliating bark is part of their charm.

Old 22-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Mike Prager

welsh dragon wrote:

We have a small multi-trunk crepe myrtle tree in our back yard. It is
around 6 foot tall and was planted about 3 years ago. [...] This year however,
although the top growth appears very healthy and it is covered with flower
buds I am a little concerned as the bark is pealing from the trunks to
reveal green wood underneath. [...] Is this a normal occurrence of
does it indicate that the tree is in trouble?

Completely normal and considered desirable. Adds winter color
and interest. Some varieties have more colorful inner bark
than others.

http://www.sfws.auburn.edu/samuelson...ape_myrtle.htm

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

[IMG] code is On

crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 2 27-08-2003 04:32 AM
crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 0 25-08-2003 05:02 PM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
crepe myrtle kate Gardening 12 14-04-2003 01:44 AM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 02-01-2003 01:55 AM