Old 27-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Chris Thompson

Default tomato advice please

My tomatoes are 8+ ft tall but don't fruit as well as I'd like. Does
anyone know of a treatment to get them to fruit more and grow less?

Thanks
Old 27-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Registered User

Location: zone 5a US

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Thompson
My tomatoes are 8+ ft tall but don't fruit as well as I'd like. Does
anyone know of a treatment to get them to fruit more and grow less?

Thanks
Hi, Chris. My best guess is you need to stop watering them for a few days and stop applying any fertilizer. If the bottom leaves begin to turn yellow, add the fertilizer again. Soak the plants when fairly dry only.
Old 27-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Bill R

Chris Thompson wrote:
My tomatoes are 8+ ft tall but don't fruit as well as I'd like. Does
anyone know of a treatment to get them to fruit more and grow less?

Thanks

Chris,

Several things could be causing your problem. How much sun
do they get? Too little sun could cause them to grow
"leggy". How often do you feed them and what type of
fertilizer do you use? Excess nitrogen fertilizer (the first
number in the formula) can result in plants with extremely
vigorous vine growth but little fruit production. I use
5-10-10 about every three weeks and that works well for me.

Here is a link to a fact sheet on growing tomatoes:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1624.html and there is
LOTS of other sites that have a lot of information on
growing tomatoes. Use this link,
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...owing+tomatoes
and you will find all the information you need.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 27-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Brian

"Chris Thompson" wrote in message
. 198...
My tomatoes are 8+ ft tall but don't fruit as well as I'd like. Does
anyone know of a treatment to get them to fruit more and grow less?

Thanks

This sounds as if they are not getting enough light~~ very
typically.
Brian