Old 27-06-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Help me pick a tree?

Hello all,

I'd like an evergreen for the backyard.

Conditions:
Climate: Los Angeles
Soil: Clayish
Sun: Full
Area: Middle of the back lawn

Desires:
Evergreen 12'- 25' high when fully mature
Canopy
Fast growing
Low litter

I bought two Tipu trees today b/c they looked so pretty but I got home
and looked them up and discovered they get huge and cause a mess. I'm
taking them back tomorrow. Think I'd be better off sticking with
smaller trees that won't flower. Any help would be appreciated. I'm
considering African Sumac. Comments??

TIA!
Jett
Old 27-06-2004, 07:13 PM
LFR

Jett,

Why not consult with the personnel at the place you bought the tree from?
Since they are in the business, they "should" be most knowledgeable.

Good luck.

Lynn

Old 27-06-2004, 09:04 PM

"LFR" wrote:

Jett,

Why not consult with the personnel at the place you bought the tree from?
Since they are in the business, they "should" be most knowledgeable.

Good luck.

Lynn

Thanks, but I don't like to rely on one source of info. IAC I decided
to keep the tipu's and just have my gardner make sure they stay trimmed
to keep them from getting out of hand. The leaves are just so pretty!

Jett
Old 28-06-2004, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

I'm partial to magnolia grandifloras. The main species is a large tree 80
ft. but Sunset garden guide lists several cultivars that are much shorter,
yet still spreading - among them 'samuel sommer' 'san marino' 'st. mary'
and 'victoria'. The leaves must be picked up when they fall - they are like
plastic, and do not decay for seemingly forever. They don't fall at a fast
rate, nor at any one season of the year, so they are easy to pick up on a
casual jaunt through the yard. However, that is a small price to pay for
such beautiful glossy foliage and big fragrant flowers.

Old 29-06-2004, 03:03 PM
LFR

"Jett" wrote in message
"LFR" wrote:

Jett,

Why not consult with the personnel at the place you bought the tree from?
Since they are in the business, they "should" be most knowledgeable.

Good luck.

Lynn

Thanks, but I don't like to rely on one source of info. IAC I decided
to keep the tipu's and just have my gardner make sure they stay trimmed
to keep them from getting out of hand. The leaves are just so pretty!

Jett

I had to go look for photos. When you said evergreen, I automatically
thought of conifers (I think that's the right term for pine trees). I'm
originally from New England where anything with leaves drops them in Autumn.
I'm now in southeast Virginia and guess I have noticed that some trees keep
their foliage; for example, there are these HUGE Magnolia trees that have
deep green leaves and large, beautiful white blossoms.

Anyway, that Tipu tree looks pretty in the photo I found. I understand
about more than one opinion, but I still think a garden center is a good
place to start.

Here's the info I found on Google...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...6hl%3Den%26lr%
3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

Happy Gardening.

Lynn

[IMG] code is On

Quick Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Pea Seeds Dennis Parker Edible Gardening 2 11-07-2008 11:54 PM
Help to pick 3 tomatoes in container tomato lover Gardening 6 11-03-2005 12:19 PM
When to Pick Tamarrillos LTM Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
when to pick zane z mckay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
When are they ready to pick? Paul Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM