Old 28-06-2004, 09:02 PM
John Bachman

Default Do I need to "age" mulch? - Question for Wong

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:50:27 +0800, "nswong"
wrote:

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message

He said that I was taking the mulch from the wrong pile -- that the
stuff I was loading had just been ground that day and would kill my
plants, particularly if there was a lot of pine in it. He said that
mulch had to sit for a couple of weeks and ferment a little before

it
could safely be used. He strongly suggested that if I was using the
mulch for flower garden that I use the next pile over, which had

been
sitting for a couple of weeks. He said that the pile I was digging
from would be good for driveways and walkways, but that I should
be careful about using it around plants.

I had never heard of that. Is that so? Does mulch have to "age?"

When using new wood chip as mulch, nitrogen starvation may happen,
this will weaken your plant and may cause dead to it.

Some plant(wood chip) contain chemical(allelopathy) that inhibit the
growth of other plants.

Ageing will solve these two problem.

Regards,
Wong

Wong - I dig the latitude and longitude but altitude is 5 meters? Is
that correct?
Old 29-06-2004, 03:07 AM
nswong

"John Bachman" wrote in message

Wong - I dig the latitude and longitude but altitude is 5 meters?

Is
that correct?

Not able to understand your question. :-(

If you refer to is't the m in the 5m of my email signitures are stand
for meter, I suppose it's. From what I notice, those places near sea
are having lower value of m in the listing. But up to now, I donot
check it up for confirmation.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m