Old 02-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Travis

Default Wild rhododendron question

pseudonym wrote:

I've just taken on the care of a property that has wild rhododendrons lining
a circular driveway. The location is the north shore of the Olympic
peninsula in western Washington state. These rhodies are in need of
pruning, hence my question:

What can I expect if I prune these back beyond the leaves? Will they then
regrow leaves by next summer? Will they also flower next summer? If not,
how fast will they releaf and when will they bloom?

How far back can I cut them before there is a serious delay in their return
to leaf and blossom?

Obviously, I know little of these things, so any helpful response would be
appreciated.

You should prune out no more than 1/3 of the rhody each year right
after flowering.
If you don't know what you are doing why are you doing it?
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington