Old 10-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Ted Shoemaker

Default your advice on herbicide or alternatives

Hello,

We live in Madison, Wisconsin (zone 4.5, clay soil, shade and acid
from oak trees).
In our back yard is a "garden" which has grown nothing but weeds for a
few years. I don't recognize these weeds, but they are not the usual
wildflowers and dandelions. They are large and ugly. Some of them
have spikes. Some of them are several feet tall.

What do you recommend?
(a) get some kind of limited-target herbicide? If so, which?
(b) get some "kills everything" herbicide? If so, I'd want something
that biodegrades within a reasonable time, so that I can plant
something to grow next year.
(c) get some organic alternative? If so, what? The local squirrels
and rabbits would much rather eat the daffodils and their bulbs than
these weeds.

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker
Old 11-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Vox Humana

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

We live in Madison, Wisconsin (zone 4.5, clay soil, shade and acid
from oak trees).
In our back yard is a "garden" which has grown nothing but weeds for a
few years. I don't recognize these weeds, but they are not the usual
wildflowers and dandelions. They are large and ugly. Some of them
have spikes. Some of them are several feet tall.

What do you recommend?
(a) get some kind of limited-target herbicide? If so, which?
(b) get some "kills everything" herbicide? If so, I'd want something
that biodegrades within a reasonable time, so that I can plant
something to grow next year.
(c) get some organic alternative? If so, what? The local squirrels
and rabbits would much rather eat the daffodils and their bulbs than
these weeds.

There are two good alternatives. The first one is to simply remove the
weeds by pulling and/or digging them out. You can do this a section at a
time - a few hours here and there. For stubborn weeds that are persistent,
you can spot treat with herbicide like Roundup or vinegar (acetic acid).
Eventually, they will be gone. The second alternative is to mow them down
with a lawn mower, string trimmer, brush cutter, or some other tool. If the
area is quite large, you can rent a brush cutter. After cutting the weed,
you can cover the area with heavy, clear plastic and let it cook all summer.
Next spring, just remove the plastic and prep the beds as needed. In lieu
of plastic, you can use many layers of newspaper or some heavy cardboard.
If you use paper or cardboard, you can put some mulch on top to make the
area look good and next spring you can rototill the bed, paper and all.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:02 AM
zxcvbob

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
[...]

How large is the area? Do you have grass to kill too, or just weeds?
What do you eventually want to plant there?

BTW, squirrels won't eat daffodils (it's about the only bulb they won't
eat.)

Best regards,
Bob