Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Gunner

Default Where can I buy a cheap used steel barrel?

On 12 Jul 2004 14:38:18 GMT, Ignoramus32482
wrote:

Thanks to all. After a few calls, I found a truck repair place that
had one, they told me to stop by tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Now, a question, what is the best way of making a firepit out of such
a barrel. I do not need it for cooking, etc -- only for burning brush,
trash, that sort of thing.

Got a cutting torch? Cut off the top of the barrel, then cut 4-6 2"
holes around the side of the barrel about 4" from the bottom. If no
cutting torch..use a hammer and a nice sharp large chisel. A brick
chippers chisel works ok. Wear hearing protection and bring your
lunch. It will take a while.

Useage.....

Stand on 5 cinderblocks

Insert flammable debris

Ignite.

Step away.

Gunners note....Its considered a Good Thing to have a piece of
expanded metal grating to lay over the top as it tends to keep the big
flaming pieces of paper and large burning leaves from wafting upwards
and then landing on your or anothers property, and setting a fire that
burns down the county.

A 6' steel pipe is also handy to stir the flaming material during the
course of the flambe. Do not be come too attached to your eyebrowes or
eye lashes. Good leather gloves are handy.
A shower afterwards is optional.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Ignoramus32482

wrote:

Thanks to all. After a few calls, I found a truck repair place that
had one, they told me to stop by tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Now, a question, what is the best way of making a firepit out of such
a barrel. I do not need it for cooking, etc -- only for burning brush,
trash, that sort of thing.

Got a cutting torch?

I have a grinder...

Cut off the top of the barrel, then cut 4-6 2" holes around the
side of the barrel about 4" from the bottom. If no cutting
torch..use a hammer and a nice sharp large chisel. A brick
chippers chisel works ok. Wear hearing protection and bring your
lunch. It will take a while.

Thanks. I was , however, thinking of cutting a bigger opening around
the bottom, like a little smiley, say 3" high by 12" high, 4" above
the bottom, for easy removal of ash.

Useage.....

Stand on 5 cinderblocks

Insert flammable debris

Ignite.

Step away.

Gunners note....Its considered a Good Thing to have a piece of
expanded metal grating to lay over the top as it tends to keep the big
flaming pieces of paper and large burning leaves from wafting upwards
and then landing on your or anothers property, and setting a fire that
burns down the county.

I was thinking about having some sort of a chimney on top, but maybe
grating is the way to go. Yes, I would hate to see cinders flying out
of that thing.

A 6' steel pipe is also handy to stir the flaming material during the
course of the flambe. Do not be come too attached to your eyebrowes or
eye lashes. Good leather gloves are handy.
A shower afterwards is optional.

I used to have a firepit in our summer house when I was a kid, and
definitely the point about eyelashes is very relevant. That firepit
was simply a barrel lying on the side.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Richard Cline

In article , Ignoramus32482
wrote:

Just tip it on dge to remove the ashes. Much better access to the total

Dick

area.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Ray

A couple people mentioned good ideas. The secret is to get a good
draft.

Find some old fence and fold it several times, or something similar that
has lots of holes, but will still hold the trash. Use some old rocks or
bricks to hold it above the ground by a foot or so. Put the barrel on
top.

To use it, put the stuff that will burn well on the bottom. If you have
some sticks that you need to get rid of, put them above that. Use a
lighter or propane torch to light the paper. I like to do it from
underneath because fire burns up, not down. When the fire starts to
grow, start tossing the trash it. Because of the good draft, the flame
will be hot and plenty of oxygen will be available for the more
difficult stuff. That avoids the black smoke and nasty smell.

Ray

"Ignoramus32482" wrote in message
Thanks to all. After a few calls, I found a truck repair place that
had one, they told me to stop by tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Now, a question, what is the best way of making a firepit out of such
a barrel. I do not need it for cooking, etc -- only for burning brush,
trash, that sort of thing.

In article , Ignoramus9040 wrote:
Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 13-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Gunner

wrote:

Thanks to all. After a few calls, I found a truck repair place that
had one, they told me to stop by tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Now, a question, what is the best way of making a firepit out of such
a barrel. I do not need it for cooking, etc -- only for burning brush,
trash, that sort of thing.

Got a cutting torch?

I have a grinder...

Wear hearing and eye protection. Use a new disk.

Cut off the top of the barrel, then cut 4-6 2" holes around the
side of the barrel about 4" from the bottom. If no cutting
torch..use a hammer and a nice sharp large chisel. A brick
chippers chisel works ok. Wear hearing protection and bring your
lunch. It will take a while.

Thanks. I was , however, thinking of cutting a bigger opening around
the bottom, like a little smiley, say 3" high by 12" high, 4" above
the bottom, for easy removal of ash.

To remove the ash..you tip over the barrel. Or as most folks do..toss
the entire barrel and repeat the process. A large hole lets the fire
out on the ground. You want holes all around the base, or one side
will burn while the other chokes out.

Useage.....

Stand on 5 cinderblocks

Insert flammable debris

Ignite.

Step away.

Gunners note....Its considered a Good Thing to have a piece of
expanded metal grating to lay over the top as it tends to keep the big
flaming pieces of paper and large burning leaves from wafting upwards
and then landing on your or anothers property, and setting a fire that
burns down the county.

I was thinking about having some sort of a chimney on top, but maybe
grating is the way to go. Yes, I would hate to see cinders flying out
of that thing.

Grating is cheap. Often free.