Old 11-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Ignoramus9040

Default Where can I buy a cheap used steel barrel?

Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Ray

Where do you live? There's a place near Baldwin (south-west of
Cadillac, MI) that sells pre-made burn barrels for about that price.

Ray

Old 11-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Vox Humana

"Ignoramus9040" wrote in message
Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Look under "recycling" in your phone book and start calling. Someone will
know.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Ignoramus9040

In article , Ray wrote:
Where do you live? There's a place near Baldwin (south-west of
Cadillac, MI) that sells pre-made burn barrels for about that price.

A few dozen miles west of Chicago.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Ignoramus9040

In article , Vox Humana wrote:

"Ignoramus9040" wrote in message
Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Look under "recycling" in your phone book and start calling. Someone will
know.

thanks, at least I know what to look for...

Old 11-07-2004, 11:02 AM

On 11 Jul 2004 01:33:41 GMT, Ignoramus9040
wrote:

Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

IRAQ
There are lots of them dropped off of military vehicles after the
contents are spent. They are lying all over the desert, and free for
the taking.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Jan Flora

In article ,
Ignoramus9040 wrote:

Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hit the trucking companies and mechanic shops. They buy stuff in drums,
then have to pay to get rid of the drums if they can't give them away or
sell them.

Jan
Old 11-07-2004, 05:02 PM
RWL

"Ignoramus9040" wrote in message
Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

The metal wheels from tractor trailer tires make good fire rings.
Stack them up to the height you want. I've got 4 stacked.
Some times slightly bent ones can be had for free at tire dealers.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Old 11-07-2004, 05:02 PM
simy1

"Ray" wrote in message ...
Where do you live? There's a place near Baldwin (south-west of
Cadillac, MI) that sells pre-made burn barrels for about that price.

Ray

"Ignoramus9040" wrote in message
Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

look in the yellow pages, barrels. That's how I got my 55-gallons drum.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus25780

In article , Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus9040 wrote:

Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hit the trucking companies and mechanic shops. They buy stuff in drums,
then have to pay to get rid of the drums if they can't give them away or
sell them.

Jan

like oil change places, that sort of thing? will also call some
trucking cos.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus25780

In article , simy1 wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message ...
Where do you live? There's a place near Baldwin (south-west of
Cadillac, MI) that sells pre-made burn barrels for about that price.

Ray

"Ignoramus9040" wrote in message
Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

look in the yellow pages, barrels. That's how I got my 55-gallons drum.

How much did it cost you?

Old 11-07-2004, 06:02 PM
North

On 11 Jul 2004 15:50:11 GMT, Ignoramus25780
said:

In article , Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus9040 wrote:

Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hit the trucking companies and mechanic shops. They buy stuff in drums,
then have to pay to get rid of the drums if they can't give them away or
sell them.

Jan

like oil change places, that sort of thing? will also call some
trucking cos.

Thanks.

Repair shops that repair big tractor trailers, construction
equippment, and of course auto repair shops, however, the heavy
equippment shops are going to be the best place to look.

n.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Stephen Moore

Around here some Feed Stores carry them as farmers/ranchers use them
for feeding troughs, dog houses, and burn barrels. I think they are
around 6.50 though (Eastern Ok).

Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve M
Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 PM
The Independent

North wrote:

On 11 Jul 2004 15:50:11 GMT, Ignoramus25780
said:

In article , Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus9040 wrote:

Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel
could be had for $5 or so...

Many people use the standard 55 gallon drum but they for a burining
barrel. However the steel of a 55 gal drum burns out fairly quickly.

The inside of a 55 or 60 gallon water heater may be a better choice.
Many of them are now enameled which will not oxidize. The threaded
holes for the electric heating elements can be used to connect
the burning barrel to a blower to introduce air directly in to
the fuel for more complete burning and producing higher temperatures
to burn off any pollutants.

The Independent of Clackamas County, Oregon

"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of
speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood."

(Otto Von Bismarck, Speech, Sept. 30, 1862.)
Old 12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Ignoramus32482

Thanks to all. After a few calls, I found a truck repair place that
had one, they told me to stop by tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Now, a question, what is the best way of making a firepit out of such
a barrel. I do not need it for cooking, etc -- only for burning brush,
trash, that sort of thing.