Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 AM
SHARI

Default Million Bells Info?

I purchased a plant called "Million Bells" today and I'm already in
love with it. It is gorgeous. Since I have already sighted a
hummingbird in my yard, I hope this plant will bring more of them.

This purchase was one of my few gardening impulse purchases. I usually
know a lot about a plant before buying, but that didn't happen this
time. I just couldn't pass up such an amazing display of flowers in
one hanging basket.

I searched the archives and have read a few posts in this group about
Million Bells. I hear it is succeptable to root rot if it is
overwatered and drying out if not watered enough. I guess I'll just
have to watch it for the first week or so to get a feel of how much is
enough water.

I would love to be able to keep this plant going through the winter to
bloom again in the spring since it is a perennial in the warmer zones.
I have a green house window in my kitchen I could keep it in during
the cold months. Does anyone know if, come fall, I should cut it back
pretty severly (almost ground level) to give it some rest during the
winter...and, since I hear it grows so quickly. I thought giving it a
major haircut would give it less to maintain over the winter so it
would easily bounce back in the spring. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
Shari