Old 11-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Peter Hight

Default Arbutus Unedo Marina

Have a three year old plant near my house foundation (eighteen
inches). Does this species have lifting roots that might compromise my
foundation? Any experience with it? Peter Hight. I live in the SF Bay
Area.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Peter Hight" wrote in message
om...
Have a three year old plant near my house foundation (eighteen
inches). Does this species have lifting roots that might compromise my
foundation? Any experience with it? Peter Hight. I live in the SF Bay
Area.

This is a great smallish, evergreen tree, not a species of A unedo, but a
hybrid with some unedo parentage. It has a relatively rapid growth habit and
can easily reach 20-30 feet tall and as wide, often larger if conditions
suit. 18" is too close to a structire to plant any tree, other than a very
fastigiate or columnar form. It is not so much a question of root invasion
but more that the tree canopy will interfer with the structure and vice
versa, resulting in either damage to the tree or to the structure and
possibly both. The root system is not particularly surface oriented nor is
it prone to be destructive by lifting pavement or otherwise disturbing a
foundation - they are used as street trees here in Seattle and must meet
that consideration to qualify.

But regardless of its attributes, 18 inches is still too close to a
structure to a plant a tree. If still small, I'd seriously consider
transplanting it to a more appropriate location.

pam - gardengal