Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Arbutus unedo (Strawberry tree)

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.
--
rbel

Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"rbel" wrote ...

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

Mother had one in her Sussex garden about 200 yards from the sea. No problem
with wind or salt at all as far as I could see, always had flowers and fruit
on it too although I never saw another plant around. To describe it as a
tree is stretching it a bit, I do know one near the Thames, but it's usually
a shrub and slow growing at that.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"rbel" wrote ...

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

There's one in the garden of the museum in Wimborne. It is surrounded by
buildings on all sides though, this will shelter and protect it.

Steve

Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/04/2013 22:01, rbel wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

As Bob says, it grows well in Sussex. But it can be more of a large
shrub than a tree. Depending on how formal the square bed is, have you
considered a bay tree topiary? It may not like the northerly aspect
much, however, but if it gets some sun should be ok.

With a northerly aspect, you could also consider Crinodendron
hookerianum, although, once again, it tends to be a shrub rather than a
tree. You could train it as a tree by restricting it to one trunk.

For other choices have a look through the Architectural Plants catalogue
he
http://www.architecturalplants.com/p...rees_evergreen

Their hardiness ratings and info are usually very good, even if you
might find the prices a bit eye-watering for the larger plants!

--

Jeff
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/2013 07:46, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 22:01:11 +0100, rbel wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

Certainly hardy enough in southern England, and possibly further
north. Grows wild in southern Ireland, in extensive 'forests' AIUI. I
had one in my previous garden in mid-Cornwall, but it got blown down
when about 8 ft tall. I have two down here in west Cornwall, but
they're just youngsters. Supposed to be salt-wind tolerant; I hope so,
they'll be getting the full blast of Atlantic gales in a year or two
when they get taller. Said to require two plants for cross pollination
in order to set the fruit, which I believe are edible but
unremarkable. As I got my two from the same nursery, and as they
probably originated from the same plant originally, I wonder if mine
qualify as being genetically different in order to pollinate each
other. The one I had in my previous garden was so-say self fertile;
perhaps they all are these days. The fruit take twelve months to
ripen, IIRC. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_unedo
or google for it for more information.

When I worked in S. Glamorgan a client in Prnarth had one in his very
crowded front garden, it stood about 10 ft tall and had fruit every year
which ripened, not a bad taste, but not something to rave over.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbel[_2_] View Post
Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.
Certainly hardy enough. I grow it fine in Buckinghamshire where we have a longer colder winter than you will get in South Devon. They are fine with indifferent soil, that is what they natively grow in.

It depends what you mean by small. Mostly they grow in the mediterranean where the regular summer drought stops them getting too large, and you encounter large shrubby forests of them at around 12ft tall only. But they are also native to SW Ireland, where it rains all the time, and they can be quite large, certainly 60 ft. Also depends on species; a neighbour has an Arbutus andrachnoides and it is very vigorous and huge, but a beautiful thing.

I grow a variety of Arbutus unedo called Compacta which said on the label it would grow to 8 ft tall. Well mine is only 8 ft tall, but only because I prune a good 2 - 3 ft off it each year, so I think it would be much bigger than that if I wasn't giving it a good snip every year. Compacta doesn't fruit as much as some others, unfortunately.

They can succumb to fungal diseases here in Britain due to the humidity. It is notable that the Irish ones are fairly straggly unlike the densely shrubby mediterranean ones. So make sure the air can get through to reduce risk of fungal disease.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
When I worked in S. Glamorgan a client in Prnarth had one in his very
crowded front garden, it stood about 10 ft tall and had fruit every year
which ripened, not a bad taste, but not something to rave over.
Used in Portugal to make fire water.

I believe they like neutral to acid soils, not chalk or lime.
__________________
Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

rbel might consider Crinodendron hookerianum too. It's evergreen, a
reliable flowerer with pendulous flowers like little red lanterns, (so
no need for a pollinator to get red dangly decorations). :-)

It does very well here on Arran (lots of wind and salt)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinodendron_hookerianum

Janet.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-07 22:01:11 +0100, rbel said:

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

I've never grown it but they grow to an enormous size in the mountains
of Trodos in Cyprus, so I don't think South Devon winters would
normally faze it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 22:01:11 +0100, rbel wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

Many thanks for all the advice to date.

The tree will need to be kept pruned back to within the three metre
square boundary, hence the requirement for something quite compact.
The prevailing winds here are from the S.W. and there are some quite
tall shrubs on that side of the square which should help protect the
young tree.

As it has been mentioned that this Arbutus is slow growing we will
need to hunt around for a reasonable size one to make the sought after
impact - at the moment the two largest local garden centres don't have
anything over a metre tall and Sacha does not list them.

Crinodendron hookerianum certainly looks like a good alternative, I
will see what is available.
--
rbel

Old 08-04-2013, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2013-04-07 22:01:11 +0100, rbel said:

Does anyone have any experience of growing this? We are looking for a
an interesting small evergreen tree to go into a 3 metre square bed
with indifferent soil and an open northerly aspect in South Devon.

The RHS plant selector indicates that it is probably hardy enough for
our location.

I've never grown it but they grow to an enormous size in the mountains
of Trodos in Cyprus, so I don't think South Devon winters would
normally faze it.

Perhaps, but the southern Ireland link is equally important. I am
thinking of the damp/frost/thaw issues that we have, and cause a
lot of strongly frost-resistant plants to turn up their toes in
the UK. If the indifferent soil is poor and free-draining, that's
probably a bonus! Bean says that there shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:17:26 +0100, rbel wrote:

Many thanks for all the advice to date.

The tree will need to be kept pruned back to within the three metre
square boundary, hence the requirement for something quite compact.
The prevailing winds here are from the S.W. and there are some quite
tall shrubs on that side of the square which should help protect the
young tree.

As it has been mentioned that this Arbutus is slow growing we will
need to hunt around for a reasonable size one to make the sought after
impact - at the moment the two largest local garden centres don't have
anything over a metre tall and Sacha does not list them.

Crinodendron hookerianum certainly looks like a good alternative, I
will see what is available.

Having had a look online at the Crinodendron it is definitely in the
running. One question both the Arbutus and the Crinodendron appear as
though they are slow growing, is one significantly slower than the
other?
--
rbel
Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/2013 20:00, rbel wrote:
[...]

Don't know about Arbutus, but Crinodendron isn't that slow. It is
fairly slow as a small plant, but get's going once it's more than a
metre high.

--

Jeff
Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...

On 08/04/2013 20:00, rbel wrote:
[...]

I haven't grown arbutus, but agree with Jeff, crinodendron is no
slouch. Mine is 6 ft high atm , its stems put on 15 to 18 inches of
growth last year.

Janet