Old 13-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Mook23

Default Indoor gardening questions

Unfortunately, I am an apartment dweller and am forced to garden inside.
I'm using a plastic covered greenhouse for growing tomatoes and peppers
(among a few other house plants). I've got the humidity quite high, but
this seems to be working because the plants are doing well and starting to
fruit. However, dead leaves turn into instant mold problems when they hit
the soil. I've just sprayed the soil with some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Was
this a good choice? It's pretty harmless and I know that it works for mold
control when you're growing mushrooms. Also, I'd like to garden all through
the winter and was contemplating using a small pail and a fish tank heater
to keep the temperature up in the greenhouse (it's right by a drafty
window). Final question: Other than a high pressure sodium or a metal
halide light, is there anything else that would actually make a difference
to my plants indoors. I've heard that the grow lights you buy at the
hardware store are pretty much useless as most of their output is in the
wrong spectrum. What about the light from the top of an aquarium? Would it
work?

Old 13-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:33:37 -0500, "Mook23"
wrote:

[...]

I've tried indoor vegetable and herb gardening a long time ago. The
main problem is getting enough sunlight, and without that the flavor
is not so good. Sodium vapor lights might work, but the cost is
prohibitive compared to the yields. You will need some kind of
ventilation too. African violets grow exceptionally well under
fluorescent lighting.
Old 14-07-2004, 05:02 PM
George Orwell

I've got the humidity quite high
The optimum humidity is 50-60%. You do not want it too high or you will
have problems with fungi (ie mold).
I've just sprayed the soil with some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.

The best safe treatment for fungal infections indoors is bordeaux mix
(aka copper sulfate). If you have fungi in the soil, you are probably
overwatering and have humidity too high. Buy a moisture meter that tells
you when to water ($10 at walmart). Also keep a fan on the plants to
bring in fresh air and keep humidity down.
other than a high pressure sodium or a metal halide light, is there anything else that would actually make a difference to my plants indoors

Just normal fluorescent lights will work. You don't need the special
"plant" bulbs, but you will need lots of fluorescents to do the job of
one HID. If you want to use fluorescents, buy a 48" fixture with
electronic ballast that is made for T8 tubes. This will use less
electricity with same light output. The good thing about fluorescents is
that you can suspend them very close to the plants without burning. It
might be better in the long run just to buy an HID. Also the HID should
produce enough heat to keep your plants warm in the winter. Or just use
a small space heater. Put some plastic sheeting down under the garden to
help with cleaning and to help keep insects under control. Spraying the
plants with water every morning will help to keep mites under control.
If you do have an insect breakout, you can control them with neem oil.