Old 17-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Cat

Default Compost moves [ flowerbed mulching help pls]

In article 9xTJc.93378$IQ4.39656@attbi_s02,
Warren wrote:
If you're talking about a bottomless bin, the only practical way of
moving it is to pull it up off the pile inside, move it, and then shovel
and wheelbarrow the contents to the new location, and reload it.

*sigh* I am, unfortunately. Ah well ;

But if your compost bin has an odor, something is wrong. Either there's
not enough carbon material, and the nitrogen rich material is rotting,
and/or it's not being aerated enough. Perhaps it's become too compact
because of too much moisture. A wet, sloppy pile of kitchen waste is
going to smell for all these reasons.

I suspect all of the above - I've frankly been ignoring it, and I'm
entirely sure what's in it now.

So the act of taking off the plastic bin, and moving the pile is going
to help with your smell problem.

Heh. Yup. Messy, but worth it in the end, I hope...

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."