GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ultra Modern Daylilies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/79601-ultra-modern-daylilies.html)

Bobby Baxter 21-07-2004 03:02 AM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall 2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

--
Bobby Baxter
TheGardenSite.com

TheGardenSite.com: http://thegardensite.com
Daylily.Net: http://daylily.net
Happy Moose: http://happymoosegardens.com

We specialize in designing web sites for plant lovers!
daylilies, hostas, irises, orchids, cacti, perennials, etc.

Robert 21-07-2004 04:02 AM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
.com...
http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall
2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

I don't like them, they look like diseased mutants~

Robert

Cat 21-07-2004 04:02 AM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

In article ,
Bobby Baxter wrote:
Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall 2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a
good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather like
dustcovers ;

Perhaps I'm old fashioned in the flowers that I like, but I really can't
work up any enthusiasm over the fussy ruffles that really obscure what
should be a beautifully shaped flower.

More generally, it seems that many of the recent cultivars are aiming more
for shock value than attractiveness - or features like repeat blooms and
scent - which is a crying shame.

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."

Frogleg 21-07-2004 12:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:39:26 GMT, (Cat)
wrote:

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a
good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather like
dustcovers ;

?? The flowers don't look like book jackets to me at all. Did you
mean dustmop? :-)

With some 50,000 hemerocallis cultivars, there's bound to be
considerable straying from the original(?) orange ditch-lily. I
thought they were rather interesting. Not $200 interesting, but if
someone planted one in my yard, I wouldn't dig it up. :-)

Iris Cohen 21-07-2004 03:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next
48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Doug Kanter 21-07-2004 03:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most
gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

Wil 21-07-2004 03:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the

next
48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Any new cultivar of any new plant variety is pricy. New hybrids of
daylilies are no exception. The serious hybridizer, seller, grower will buy
a cutting edge daylily for its genes that produce a new color, new eye
pattern, maximum bud counts and branching. They want to use in their own
crosses or increase it to sell while the price is still high.

Also there are always the elite gardeners that want the first of any
cultivar. Have you checked the price of a new, non tissue cultured Hosta,
or a new non tissue cultured Iris? Or even any new non tissue cultured
perennial? Oh heck, have you checked the licensing price the garden center
must pay to be able to grow and sell The Wave petunia? Those $200 daylilies
are priced that way because there are only a hand full of that particular
cultivar in the whole world. Not making excuses for the prissiness, but
explaining why there is a market for those high priced lovelies.

Wil

Cheryl Isaak 21-07-2004 03:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

You're paying too much - according to Eureka ( a daylily price guide)
Hyperion goes for $5 a double fan.

Cheryl

Wil 21-07-2004 03:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most
gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

You have GOT to be kidding. If you are paying $15 for Hyperion you are
paying about 3 times what the value is among daylily growers. And you will
be getting a tissue cultured plant from your garden center that may or may
not perform up to what a plant division is of Hyperion that made it popular
many years ago.

Wil

Doug Kanter 21-07-2004 03:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

Yeah, but I'm thinking even if you DID pay that much, it's still just as
pleasurable to grow as a $200 monster. Maybe even more so.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within

the
next
48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Karen 21-07-2004 04:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Robert" wrote in message news:SGkLc.113795$WX.60069@attbi_s51...
"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

I don't like them, they look like diseased mutants~

Robert

I agree. They are ugly. When did sickly and deseased looks become
fashionable?

Though beauty is in the eyes of beholder, I doubt a person cover with
with frog skin will be admire by many.

Vox Humana 21-07-2004 04:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most
gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

I love Hyperion. Someone in the neighborhood has a mass planting of them.

Vox Humana 21-07-2004 04:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Robert" wrote in message

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
.com...
http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall
2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are

some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours

and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

I don't like them, they look like diseased mutants~

There were some that I would be happy to own, but not at that price. I
can't see planting daylilies as specimen plants. I like them in large
clumps that can be viewed at a distance. If you only have a couple plants,
they bloom for three days and then are gone. Large clumps give a nice
display for two or three weeks.

Doug Kanter 21-07-2004 04:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Karen" wrote in message
om...

I agree. They are ugly. When did sickly and deseased looks become
fashionable?

It began with the tulip frenzy in Europe, whenever that was (1800s?
Earlier?)

JMagerl 21-07-2004 04:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

Not to change the topic, but could you explain why a tissue culture would
perform differently than a plant division? I though tissue cultures were an
exact clone.

Wil 21-07-2004 04:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"JMagerl" wrote in message
Not to change the topic, but could you explain why a tissue culture would
perform differently than a plant division? I though tissue cultures were

an
exact clone.

In some plants the tissue culture performs well. However it has been proven
by daylily growers that there is a percentage of so called clones, tissue
cultured plant, that have problems with the plant performance. I have
bought a cloned daylily from say, Wal Mart that did not even bloom. But
others have bought the same named variety from Wal Mart that is performing
well. Sometimes the depth of color saturation is not the same as the
original by plant division. Sometimes the flower form just is not as
perfect, ruffled, large bloom, good performance upon opening in the AM etc,
as the division plant. I suppose the cause has to do with the process.
Perhaps an imperfect process in the lab can mutate cloned piece. I don't
know if anyone has even said definitively what causes the problem. Daylily
growers only know it happens when the plant is grown. Also for the serious
daylily grower, [as opposed to a gardener that wants to enjoy a plant at a
reasonable price] some tissue cultured plants have been sold in the upper
markets as true divisions at the true division price. You can see how that
can cause a problem in the daylily market where prices are originally very
high.

Wil

[email protected] 21-07-2004 05:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

I think they are gorgeous. and I dont really like froo-froo either. but my mother
is nuts about day lilies and her's are all wildly in bloom while she is in a hospital
right now still dont know what is going on. Ingrid

"Bobby Baxter" wrote:

http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall 2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Cat 21-07-2004 07:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

wrote:

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a
good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather like
dustcovers ;

?? The flowers don't look like book jackets to me at all. Did you
mean dustmop? :-)

Heh ; No - I'm thinking of the wretchedly ruffled victorian mostrosities
that they used to put on -everything- to "keep the dust off" ;

With some 50,000 hemerocallis cultivars, there's bound to be
considerable straying from the original(?) orange ditch-lily. I
thought they were rather interesting. Not $200 interesting, but if
someone planted one in my yard, I wouldn't dig it up. :-)

Heh. If I'm going to spend $200, I think I'd buy peonies ;

http://www.pivoinescapano.com/

Cheryl Isaak 21-07-2004 07:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

On 7/21/04 1:06 PM, in article , "Cat"
wrote:

wrote:

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a
good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather like
dustcovers ;

?? The flowers don't look like book jackets to me at all. Did you
mean dustmop? :-)

Heh ; No - I'm thinking of the wretchedly ruffled victorian mostrosities
that they used to put on -everything- to "keep the dust off" ;

With some 50,000 hemerocallis cultivars, there's bound to be
considerable straying from the original(?) orange ditch-lily. I
thought they were rather interesting. Not $200 interesting, but if
someone planted one in my yard, I wouldn't dig it up. :-)

Heh. If I'm going to spend $200, I think I'd buy peonies ;

http://www.pivoinescapano.com/

cheers!

My DH is going to shoot you - I want Green Halo!

Cheryl

Cat 21-07-2004 09:03 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
http://www.pivoinescapano.com/

My DH is going to shoot you - I want Green Halo!

Heh. I haven't told my spouse that I'm looking at:

http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tpwt02f.htm
http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tprd10f.htm
http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tprd38.htm

yet....

Michelle 21-07-2004 10:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

frankly I prefur the nice clumps of day lilies I get at my garden
center for $10.00 and I get a nice selection of colors and mine
bloom quite nicely for almost three and a half weeks and some times I
get late stalks with nice blooms after even that
if he gets some one to pay that price per plant than those folks are
crazy and he's a damn genius

Michelle 21-07-2004 10:03 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:06:31 GMT, (Cat)
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
http://www.pivoinescapano.com/

My DH is going to shoot you - I want Green Halo!

Heh. I haven't told my spouse that I'm looking at:

http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tpwt02f.htm
http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tprd10f.htm
http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tprd38.htm

yet....

I like the last one they are very pretty

cheers!

Michelle 21-07-2004 10:03 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:19:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most
gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

Here Here I agree Cheers

Michelle 21-07-2004 10:03 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

just proovs I'd never make it rubbing elbows with the rich gardeners
I'm just too satisfied with the old tried and true although I have a
very pretty canna that I got from a friend and it is doing quite well
and I get a lot of ooo's and ahhh's from the neighbors
but I think that it's just not worth it to pay through the nose for a
fancy flower like that unless you are a nursery who plans to grow and
sell it it's like paying two hundred and fifty dollars for some sort
of new sneaker or six thousand dollars for a suit just to wear once I
guess if you have nothing better to do with your money go ahead go
crazy

Michelle 21-07-2004 10:04 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder like some one said but that
is sad she is sick when her favorite flowers are in bloom i'd be sad
if I missed my lilies get her a boquet for us and send our best
regards
tell her to get well soon

"Bobby Baxter" wrote:

http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall 2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Volfie 21-07-2004 11:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
.com...
http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall

2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

I actually like the daylillies but for $200 they better come into my house,
clean it, mop the floors and do windows.

Giselle (I like the daylillies I dig up free in the ditches)

paghat 21-07-2004 11:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

In article , "Volfie"
wrote:

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
.com...
http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall

2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

I actually like the daylillies but for $200 they better come into my house,
clean it, mop the floors and do windows.

Giselle (I like the daylillies I dig up free in the ditches)

I felt the same way about the Grant Mitchell daffodil catalog. I mean, is
there even a slightly lowered chance of getting some variety that tips
over if you pay a fortune for one bulb? Not bloody likely. Are these
pricy bulbs REALLY two-hundred times more beautiful than affordable
daffodils? If they were we'd go blind at the very sight of 'em. If I was
rich instead of poor would I not think twice about the price? I'd hope if
I was in a money-blowing mood I'd think more about the needy (I mean, for
the price of one bulb for my selfish self, I could buy a couple dozen
really nice big perennials to give to destitute gardeners).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Ann 22-07-2004 12:03 AM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

My DH is going to shoot you - I want Green Halo!

That is a sweet one! I want veitchii. I had it, and lost it this
past winter.....and had paid $45 for it (ouch!)

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Warren 22-07-2004 02:02 AM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

paghat wrote:
I felt the same way about the Grant Mitchell daffodil catalog. I mean,

is
there even a slightly lowered chance of getting some variety that tips
over if you pay a fortune for one bulb? Not bloody likely. Are these
pricy bulbs REALLY two-hundred times more beautiful than affordable
daffodils? If they were we'd go blind at the very sight of 'em. If I

was
rich instead of poor would I not think twice about the price? I'd hope

if
I was in a money-blowing mood I'd think more about the needy (I mean,

for
the price of one bulb for my selfish self, I could buy a couple dozen
really nice big perennials to give to destitute gardeners).

Personally, I like to get a lot for my money. My friends aren't
impressed by expensive varieties, and people driving by can't tell from
the street, so what would be the purpose?

But I probably have some stuff in my beds that at one time would have
been outlandishly expensive. It's the same as the DVD player I own. I
paid a couple hundred for it, but at one time, people paid a couple
thousands for a DVD player, even though there weren't many DVD's to play
in it. Their money helped pay the R&D costs of the new product,
eventually allowing DVD players to almost become a commodity, and thus
subject to price competition.

The people paying $200 a bulb are paying for the time spent developing
them. As time goes on, the price will go down as new customers are
needed. Eventually the R&D costs will be paid for, and the price will
drop sharply. And someday we may be buying these bulbs by the bagful,
and not put a significant dent in our wallets.

So we can look at this as a tree, and say that we, ourselves, would
never dream of paying that kind of money, or we can look at the forest,
and understand that it's not such an outlandish thing for single bulbs
to cost that much.

(BTW... It's a good thing so many of us are shocked by these prices, and
would never dream of paying them. It's important to have a few people in
the world who will, but if there are too many of them, the price will
never come down.)

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgardener/index.html

Cheryl Isaak 22-07-2004 12:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

On 7/21/04 5:55 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

My DH is going to shoot you - I want Green Halo!

That is a sweet one! I want veitchii. I had it, and lost it this
past winter.....and had paid $45 for it (ouch!)

Ouch! I did lose stuff this winter, only one of them a pricy ($20) daylily.

Cheryl

Wil 22-07-2004 01:03 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

"Michelle" wrote in message
just proovs I'd never make it rubbing elbows with the rich gardeners
I'm just too satisfied with the old tried and true although I have a
very pretty canna that I got from a friend and it is doing quite well
and I get a lot of ooo's and ahhh's from the neighbors
but I think that it's just not worth it to pay through the nose for a
fancy flower like that unless you are a nursery who plans to grow and
sell it it's like paying two hundred and fifty dollars for some sort
of new sneaker or six thousand dollars for a suit just to wear once I
guess if you have nothing better to do with your money go ahead go
crazy

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:23:47 -0400, "Wil" wrote:

Daylily growers and hybridizers are not rich folks. Some are scientists in
horticulture. Some are plenty wealthy though from a life time of work in
other unrelated career fields. I sell plenty of tried and true older
daylilies for $6. They are much less expensive from me, a daylily
counasour, than from the garden centers who pay less for a daylily tissue
culture than I pay for a true division, but the garden centers over charge
for the variety. I can sell you a very nice newer developed daylily for
$15. The very expensive ones are for collectors and breeders and those who
want the "rolls royce" of NEW daylily introductions. Given a little time
the $200 daylily will be $6. It is supply and demand. When they are so
plentiful I chop them up. They are of little value unless someone rescues
it.

Wil

Cheryl Isaak 22-07-2004 01:26 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

On 7/22/04 8:03 AM, in article , "Wil"
wrote:

"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

Well said.

I sell daylilies from my garden to word of mouth customers (friends of
friends, typically) - very few things for more than $10 for a triple fan for
a newer intro.

I refuse to buy anything that is a first year intro that is more than $50;
sometimes even I just HAVE TO have it.

Cheryl

Wil 22-07-2004 01:55 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

I sell daylilies from my garden to word of mouth customers (friends of
friends, typically) - very few things for more than $10 for a triple fan

for
a newer intro.

I refuse to buy anything that is a first year intro that is more than $50;
sometimes even I just HAVE TO have it.

Cheryl

Oh don't i know that "have to have" feeling. In my breeding program I buy
ones I once thought were so out of reach for me. The turn over the first
few years of the expensive ones are to other growers/hybridizers looking for
a bargain price for a new daylily. The hybridizer keeps his price higher
than I do for many years after I am trying to sell the increase that is too
much for my garden space. :-)

I am about to intro a few new varieties. I am wrestling with what to charge
for a single fan of the new cultivars. I agree many of the new things are
way over priced, mostly by the top hybridizers located in Florida, Texas and
the Carolinas. I am way up north where many of the new southern intros just
are not hardy for me the first year or so. They may survive but perform
here like a wal mart tissue culture [laughing].

There is a mindset among the buyers of new intros that if one charges too
little for the new daylily it must be third rate. Far from it. I would
love to get plugged into the backyard hybridizers whose work is under rated
because they are new to daylily breeding. A few well known hybridizers get
all the attention, but many are producing lousy cultivars for northern
growers. Don't get me wrong, they sure have a pretty face but there are
problems with hardiness, flower opening, color saturation or foliage that
gets raggy mid season. In early summer we still may have 60 degree nights.
That can make a beauty look ugly real fast.

Wil

Cheryl Isaak 22-07-2004 02:47 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

On 7/22/04 8:55 AM, in article , "Wil"
wrote:

I sell daylilies from my garden to word of mouth customers (friends of
friends, typically) - very few things for more than $10 for a triple fan

for
a newer intro.

I refuse to buy anything that is a first year intro that is more than $50;
sometimes even I just HAVE TO have it.

Cheryl

Oh don't i know that "have to have" feeling.

I have a few times - once for support a buddy who was just starting to
release to the public and it is still doing great things for me. And another
was only $35 and had "personality".

In my breeding program I buy
ones I once thought were so out of reach for me. The turn over the first
few years of the expensive ones are to other growers/hybridizers looking for
a bargain price for a new daylily. The hybridizer keeps his price higher
than I do for many years after I am trying to sell the increase that is too
much for my garden space. :-)

I am about to intro a few new varieties. I am wrestling with what to charge
for a single fan of the new cultivars. I agree many of the new things are
way over priced, mostly by the top hybridizers located in Florida, Texas and
the Carolinas. I am way up north where many of the new southern intros just
are not hardy for me the first year or so. They may survive but perform
here like a wal mart tissue culture [laughing].

Do you need a test site? :)
Do post your website or send me some pictures!

There is a mindset among the buyers of new intros that if one charges too
little for the new daylily it must be third rate. Far from it. I would
love to get plugged into the backyard hybridizers whose work is under rated
because they are new to daylily breeding. A few well known hybridizers get
all the attention, but many are producing lousy cultivars for northern
growers. Don't get me wrong, they sure have a pretty face but there are
problems with hardiness, flower opening, color saturation or foliage that
gets raggy mid season. In early summer we still may have 60 degree nights.
That can make a beauty look ugly real fast.

One of the formerly local hybridizers from my local club would go down to
Florida and buy the unregistered siblings (same cross) of the keepers and so
called bridge plants (used to hopefully pass on certain qualities).

BTW - where are you!
Cheryl

Andrew Ostrander 22-07-2004 03:02 PM

Ultra Modern Daylilies

From a local magazine, Manitoba Gardener, Summer 2004, p. 28:

....a new introduction by daylily hybridizer Ted Petit - recently sold for
whopping $6,000 at a Canadian Hemerocallis Society auction in Niagara Falls
to Dr. Larry Gooden and his wife Pat Keisel. Obviously thrilled with the
plant, the couple promptly named it "Larry's Obsession".

The photo show a beautiful flower, purple with white ruffled edge.

Andrew