Old 21-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Bobby Baxter

Default Ultra Modern Daylilies

http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall 2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Enjoy,

Bobby

--
Bobby Baxter
TheGardenSite.com

TheGardenSite.com: http://thegardensite.com
Daylily.Net: http://daylily.net
Happy Moose: http://happymoosegardens.com

We specialize in designing web sites for plant lovers!
daylilies, hostas, irises, orchids, cacti, perennials, etc.

Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Robert

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
.com...
http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall
2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

I don't like them, they look like diseased mutants~

Robert

Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Cat

In article ,
Bobby Baxter wrote:
Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall 2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

Leaving aside the question of whether advertising in this group is a
good thing, I have to say that these daylilies look... well - rather like
dustcovers ;

Perhaps I'm old fashioned in the flowers that I like, but I really can't
work up any enthusiasm over the fussy ruffles that really obscure what
should be a beautifully shaped flower.

More generally, it seems that many of the recent cultivars are aiming more
for shock value than attractiveness - or features like repeat blooms and
scent - which is a crying shame.

cheers!
avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."
Old 21-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Iris Cohen

These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next
48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 21-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Doug Kanter

Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most
gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

Old 21-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Wil

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the

next
48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Any new cultivar of any new plant variety is pricy. New hybrids of
daylilies are no exception. The serious hybridizer, seller, grower will buy
a cutting edge daylily for its genes that produce a new color, new eye
pattern, maximum bud counts and branching. They want to use in their own
crosses or increase it to sell while the price is still high.

Also there are always the elite gardeners that want the first of any
cultivar. Have you checked the price of a new, non tissue cultured Hosta,
or a new non tissue cultured Iris? Or even any new non tissue cultured
perennial? Oh heck, have you checked the licensing price the garden center
must pay to be able to grow and sell The Wave petunia? Those $200 daylilies
are priced that way because there are only a hand full of that particular
cultivar in the whole world. Not making excuses for the prissiness, but
explaining why there is a market for those high priced lovelies.

Wil

Old 21-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Cheryl Isaak

You're paying too much - according to Eureka ( a daylily price guide)
Hyperion goes for $5 a double fan.

Cheryl

Old 21-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Wil

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most
gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

You have GOT to be kidding. If you are paying $15 for Hyperion you are
paying about 3 times what the value is among daylily growers. And you will
be getting a tissue cultured plant from your garden center that may or may
not perform up to what a plant division is of Hyperion that made it popular
many years ago.

Wil

Old 21-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Doug Kanter

Yeah, but I'm thinking even if you DID pay that much, it's still just as
pleasurable to grow as a $200 monster. Maybe even more so.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
These are some remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within

the
next
48 hours and the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

$200 for a daylily? Vey is mir. What are they made of?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Karen

"Robert" wrote in message news:SGkLc.113795$WX.60069@attbi_s51...
"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

I don't like them, they look like diseased mutants~

Robert

I agree. They are ugly. When did sickly and deseased looks become
fashionable?

Though beauty is in the eyes of beholder, I doubt a person cover with
with frog skin will be admire by many.
Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Seriously! For fifteen bucks, you can buy "Hyperion", one of the most
gorgeous yellow daylillies in existence.

I love Hyperion. Someone in the neighborhood has a mass planting of them.

Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Robert" wrote in message

"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
.com...
http://franksmithdaylilies.com

Moments ago we updated the Frank Smith Daylilies web site with his fall
2004
introductions. If you are interested in seeing some of the most sought
after daylilies on this planet then you should take look. These are

some
remarkable beauties and many will be sold out within the next 48 hours

and
the $200 prices do not deter the diehard daylily fanatics.

I don't like them, they look like diseased mutants~

There were some that I would be happy to own, but not at that price. I
can't see planting daylilies as specimen plants. I like them in large
clumps that can be viewed at a distance. If you only have a couple plants,
they bloom for three days and then are gone. Large clumps give a nice
display for two or three weeks.

Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Doug Kanter

"Karen" wrote in message
om...

I agree. They are ugly. When did sickly and deseased looks become
fashionable?

It began with the tulip frenzy in Europe, whenever that was (1800s?
Earlier?)

Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 PM
JMagerl

Not to change the topic, but could you explain why a tissue culture would
perform differently than a plant division? I though tissue cultures were an
exact clone.