Old 22-07-2004, 09:02 PM
BruceW..1

Default How long will SoilMoist last?

You know SoilMoist, those polymer hydrogel granules:
http://www.soilmoist.com/soilhome.html

If you're interested, the NY Times had a related article:
http://nytimes.com/2004/07/20/scienc...G8m+5qAo52Xhow

Say I mixed Soilmoist with topsoil for my lawn. Does anyone know how
long this stuff will last? I have no idea. For all I know it could
last forever, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 22-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Iris Cohen

Say I mixed Soilmoist with topsoil for my lawn. Does anyone know how long
this stuff will last?

That would be terribly expensive and probably not that helpful to your lawn.
Soilmoist is designed for potted plants and small specialized flowerbeds. I
would estimate its useful life at about two years, after which you would
probably repot anyway.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 22-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Curly Sue

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:48:35 GMT, "BruceW..1"
wrote:

You know SoilMoist, those polymer hydrogel granules:
http://www.soilmoist.com/soilhome.html

If you're interested, the NY Times had a related article:
http://nytimes.com/2004/07/20/scienc...G8m+5qAo52Xhow

Say I mixed Soilmoist with topsoil for my lawn. Does anyone know how
long this stuff will last? I have no idea. For all I know it could
last forever, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your help.

I have written to the company several times to find out what happens
to Soil Moist (how long it lasts, what it breaks down to) and they do
not answer. I don't want to add anything unknown to the environment,
so I have stopped using it, until I get some definitive answers.

Sue(tm)

Old 23-07-2004, 04:13 AM
DigitalVinyl

"BruceW..1" wrote:

You know SoilMoist, those polymer hydrogel granules:
http://www.soilmoist.com/soilhome.html

If you're interested, the NY Times had a related article:
http://nytimes.com/2004/07/20/scienc...G8m+5qAo52Xhow

Say I mixed Soilmoist with topsoil for my lawn. Does anyone know how
long this stuff will last? I have no idea. For all I know it could
last forever, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your help.

Terra-Sorb, a similar product, lasts five years and breaks down into
potassium

http://www.planthealthcare.com/catal...errasorb3.html

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html

Old 23-07-2004, 05:20 AM
BruceW..1

wrote:

You know SoilMoist, those polymer hydrogel granules:
http://www.soilmoist.com/soilhome.html

If you're interested, the NY Times had a related article:
http://nytimes.com/2004/07/20/scienc...G8m+5qAo52Xhow

Say I mixed Soilmoist with topsoil for my lawn. Does anyone know how
long this stuff will last? I have no idea. For all I know it could
last forever, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your help.

I have written to the company several times to find out what happens
to Soil Moist (how long it lasts, what it breaks down to) and they do
not answer. I don't want to add anything unknown to the environment,
so I have stopped using it, until I get some definitive answers.

Sue(tm)

I did get a reply from the company today (JRM Chemical). They said it's
good from three to five year.

Bummer. I hoped it would last for eons.