GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When to pick jalapeno peppers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/80491-when-pick-jalapeno-peppers.html)

Mark Anderson 29-07-2004 05:33 AM

When to pick jalapeno peppers

This year I grew a jalapeno pepper plant for the first time. The peppers
are starting to get big but I'm confused as to how one goes about
determining when to pick them. My Chili peppers are easy in that they
turn red when ready to pick but the jalapenos will just stay green. Does
anyone have a system for this?

Bill 29-07-2004 07:14 AM

When to pick jalapeno peppers

In article ,
says...
This year I grew a jalapeno pepper plant for the first time. The peppers
are starting to get big but I'm confused as to how one goes about
determining when to pick them. My Chili peppers are easy in that they
turn red when ready to pick but the jalapenos will just stay green. Does
anyone have a system for this?

Green jalapenos I pick at a couple of inches long or bigger.
They'll turn red if you leave them on long enough, which is when I usually
pick them.

Bill

DigitalVinyl 29-07-2004 06:32 PM

Mark Anderson wrote:

This year I grew a jalapeno pepper plant for the first time. The peppers
are starting to get big but I'm confused as to how one goes about
determining when to pick them. My Chili peppers are easy in that they
turn red when ready to pick but the jalapenos will just stay green. Does
anyone have a system for this?

I think they are definitely ready--maybe over ready when they scar.
They tend to get lots of stem to end scarring/cracks on them. I recall
reading that this was a definite sign of maturity.

My jalapeno rarely turn red. I just found one 1/2" long
jalapeno--red. Had a problem with minature fruits at the start of the
season. The only ones that turned red were at the very end of summer
into fall last year. They usually don't last on the plant long enough
to turn red. :-) Also if they are red then the seeds should be mature
and the chance of the plant shutting down increases.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Gary 29-07-2004 11:35 PM

Jalapenos not hot

My jalapeno peppers are not very hot this year. Our summer weather
has been about the same as usual - maybe slightly cooler on the whole.
Can't think of any other variable that might have changed. Same
soil, same water, same fertilizing schedule, same location. The
peppers have the charactaristic shape, color and size for a jalapeno,
so I don't think the plant I bought was mislabled at the nursery.
Anyone have an idea why peppers might be mild this season?
Thx
Gary

Beecrofter 30-07-2004 04:18 AM

Jalapenos not hot

(Gary) wrote in message . com...
My jalapeno peppers are not very hot this year. Our summer weather
has been about the same as usual - maybe slightly cooler on the whole.
Can't think of any other variable that might have changed. Same
soil, same water, same fertilizing schedule, same location. The
peppers have the charactaristic shape, color and size for a jalapeno,
so I don't think the plant I bought was mislabled at the nursery.
Anyone have an idea why peppers might be mild this season?
Thx
Gary

Some morons in the plant science industry have taken it upon
themselves to breed jalepeno peppers to be mild. You might want to try
Serrano next time as they still have some zip.

Jim Carlock 30-07-2004 03:31 PM

Jalapenos not hot

Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Gary 31-07-2004 11:45 PM

Jalapenos not hot

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message om...
Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

--
Jim Carlock

I would think that if they did cross-polinate, the results would be
seen in the next generation, i.e. in next year's crop that comes from
the seeds from this year's peppers. I'm a far cry from a botanist, so
don't quote me on this.
Gary

Beecrofter 01-08-2004 02:30 AM

Jalapenos not hot

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message om...
Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

So what if they did?
It would only matter if you were saving seed to plant next year.

Christopher Green 01-08-2004 03:49 AM

Jalapenos not hot

(Gary) wrote in message . com...
"Jim Carlock" wrote in message om...
Is it true that Jalapeno's can cross breed with belle peppers?

--
Jim Carlock

I would think that if they did cross-polinate, the results would be
seen in the next generation, i.e. in next year's crop that comes from
the seeds from this year's peppers. I'm a far cry from a botanist, so
don't quote me on this.
Gary

That's right, and this is well known to pepper growers. Of the five
commercial species of Capsicum, all but C. pubescens (Andean "apple
chiles") will cross-pollinate, and all of the many varieties of C.
annuum and C.chinense will cross-pollinate especially easily.

If you want seed that will come true in the next crop, you need to
resort to measures such as bagging.

--
Chris Green