Old 08-02-2003, 10:00 PM
cc0058529

Default amarillus

My friend is moving and gave me an amarillus bulb which is potted and just
starting to sprout about 3" or so. What do I do know to get it to bloom
inside. (It's freezing now in NJ). Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
DGiunti

In article , "cc0058529"
writes:

My friend is moving and gave me an amarillus bulb which is potted and just
starting to sprout about 3" or so. What do I do know to get it to bloom
inside. (It's freezing now in NJ). Thanks in advance for your help.

That is most likely the bloom itself. Most Amaryllis send up the bloom first
and then send out leaves. Put it in a sunny window and don't let it dry out
and you should have a beautiful bloom in a few days. Let it have sun and food
while the leaves do their thing and you will have another bloom later.

If you do a google search in this group and you will find out how you can
force it to bloom more often than just once a year.

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk
Old 12-02-2003, 03:55 AM
CWilde

These are one of my favorite winter plants. Sometimes it's the bloom first,
some times its just the leaves. I got the best bulbs I've had from John
Scheepers this year, it's been interesting - multiple bloom stalks, but
spread apart, the three bulbs have given me multiple flowers for 2 months.
A semi-sunny window and you should be successful. For me, the amaryllis is a
bloom to make it through the winter.

Carlotta
shivering in Iowa (zone 4/5)