Old 11-08-2004, 06:41 PM
LeeAnne

Default Plant ID...

I'll try to get a pic to post in the binaries group, but figured I'd throw
this out there for all the experts.

Plant is now about 2 feet tall, has purple coneflower style leaves (ie sorta
start fat at the stalk and go more pointy), the stalk is fairly dark green
& bamboo like , ie grows in noticeable segments or sections, and it looks
like it's going to have some very small purple flowers on a stalk at the top
but not a lot of them - sort of a wispy little flower stalk like grass seed
(those are subject to change as it's still growing). I think there are 3 or
4 stalks all coming up, seemingly one plant.

Any ideas?

Thanks
LeeAnne
-zone 5, north of Boston-

Old 11-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Gaby Chaudry

LeeAnne,

Plant is now about 2 feet tall, has purple coneflower style leaves (ie

sorta
start fat at the stalk and go more pointy), the stalk is fairly dark

green
& bamboo like , ie grows in noticeable segments or sections, and it looks
like it's going to have some very small purple flowers on a stalk at the

top
but not a lot of them - sort of a wispy little flower stalk like grass

seed
(those are subject to change as it's still growing). I think there are 3

or
4 stalks all coming up, seemingly one plant.

Mmmh, sounds like a member of the Polygonaceae (hope I spelled it right)
family. If the leaves weren't purple, I would have said: Fallopia japonica.
But that one has got green leaves and a somewhat rhubarb-coloured stalk. And
it's a *weed*!
Hopefully your plant is something else, otherwise you've got a problem....

Bye, Gaby

--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry
http://www.gaby.de/bilder/

Old 11-08-2004, 07:57 PM
LeeAnne

I looked those up and that's not it - but thank you. The leaves and stalk
are definitely green and the stalk comes in segments like bamboo - you know
how there is a portion of stalk, then an area that is more fat around, the
next portion of stalk? That's how it grows. The flowers will be
interesting to see, that should really help.

I'll try to get a pic tonite.

LeeAnne

Old 12-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

LeeAnne said:

Plant is now about 2 feet tall, has purple coneflower style leaves (ie sorta
start fat at the stalk and go more pointy), the stalk is fairly dark green
& bamboo like , ie grows in noticeable segments or sections, and it looks
like it's going to have some very small purple flowers on a stalk at the top
but not a lot of them - sort of a wispy little flower stalk like grass seed
(those are subject to change as it's still growing). I think there are 3 or
4 stalks all coming up, seemingly one plant.

Maybe Polygonum orientale -- Prince's feather or 'Kiss me over the garden
gate'

The flowers are usually described as pink, but it's a purplish pink.

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...i?symbol=POOR2

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-08-2004, 07:15 PM
LeeAnne

A valiant effort, but nope. The leaves on that are too fat and the plant
isn't dark enough.
OK, tonite I will get a picture (if it's not raining!)

Thanks