Old 11-08-2004, 10:02 PM
SugarChile

Default Help with Weed Id, please

I'm in zone 6, PA. I'm trying to ID a vineing weed that is common along the
edges of woods and fields and is in some of my garden beds. I'm fairly sure
it's an annual. It's a thin vine with a very minimal root system that
climbs into trees and shrubs and grows very vigorously once established. It
has triangular alternate leaves, about 2 inches across, and unpleasant
small prickles all along the vine that break off in your skin. It clings to
shrubs with the prickles, and does not really twine around like bindweed. I
haven't let any go to seed this year, but I seem to recall it gets small
dark blue berries later in the season.

It's relatively easy to control by pulling (with gloves on!), I just want to
put a name to it. I've tried several on-line weed id sites and didn't come
up with it. Thanks for your consideration!

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 19-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Guy Bradley

"SugarChile" wrote in message
[...]

My guess is greenbrier. Although I now live in Missouri, I grew up in
West Virginia (about 50 mi. from the PA border) and this greenbrier,
which is a dead ringer for what you describe, was very common in
fields and waste areas. I can't speak whether it is an annual or not,
but the leaves, prickles and vining habit are characteristic.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6