Old 13-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Kristen

Default Oh, no, can this tree be saved??? (photo links)

Hi, we had one of our nicest pines hit by lightening yesterday. I
took some pictures to see if people think it can be saved. It's split
from top to bottom, but the reason I have some hope for it is that 1)
it's only split, not exploded, and 2) this tree has 3 leaders, and
only one seems to have been damaged.

I took some pictures for people to see the damage. I left them full
size, so you'll have to scroll down, but I cropped as much extraneous
material from the photo as I could to keep file size down. Some have
notations added in the photo.

(http://www.metrocast.net/~randall/pine-upper.jpg)
This is about 1/2 way up, showing the typical damage running from top
to bottom. I have indicated the three different leaders with arrows.

(http://www.metrocast.net/~randall/pine-trunk.jpg)
This is the base of the trunk. As you can see, it's quite wide, maybe
24" diameter, so it's an old tree. You can see where the bolt went
into the ground.

(http://www.metrocast.net/~randall/pine-trunk2.jpg)
Here's the trunk a little higher. This photo shows the two main
leaders and the damage coming down the one on the left. The leader on
the right splits again right above the top margin of the photo.

Ok, so what's the verdict? Can we remove the damaged leader and save
the two remaining ones? They wouldn't be a danger to fall into the
yard like the damaged one, because they lean toward the woods. I
thought they might be able to cut it right where the first split is
and paint the damage to the bark below that with something to protect
it.

We plan to have a professional come and do something for it some time
before winter (when is best?), but I'd like to know what bad news
we're in for ahead of time. I really don't want to lose it
completely, because not only do I like it, but it offers some valuable
privacy from a nearby horse trail.

Thanks,

Kristen

--
"Who is the patriot, I ask you? Those who wrap themselves in the flag and pledge
allegiance to it, or those who keep the pledge and wrap themselves in what the
Old 13-08-2004, 01:10 AM
paghat

(
[...]

I've no idea if it can be saved or not, but those sure are some impressive
pictures.

I bet the tree could still be a nice though cracked tree for many years to
come. At some point rot would get to it & it'd eventually have to be taken
down as a danger. That could takea decade or longer. If you love it
enough, it might be worth a consultation with a local arborist to get a
practical plan just for the lightning tree.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 13-08-2004, 01:37 AM
zxcvbob

Kristen wrote:
[...]

You'll probably need to keep the tree sprayed with Lindane (or Dursban
or Cygon?) until it heals to keep Pine Bark Beetles out. They can smell
a stressed pine tree and will quickly attack and kill it.

You can ignore this if you live someplace where there are no pbb's.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 13-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

The only one who can provide that information is a certified arborist. We
can certainly provide opinions but there is much more to this than meets the
eye with photos (as several previous posters have pointed out) and only a
qualified professional well-versed in tree hazard analysis is in the proper
position to judge. Don't wait until winter before calling them in - the
sooner the better.

pam - gardengal

Old 13-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Roy

Its hard to say. Some years back I had a large long leaf pine get hit
with lightning, and it knocked the top off, and blew a strip of the
bark off from the top of the tree all the way to the base where it
blew a hle in the dirt big enough to put a volkswagon in. I had given
up all hope for that tree, but its still kicking and doing fine 15
years later. I have had other trees not fair so good.

If it does not present a hazzard, I would trim any damaged limbs to a
proper pruning cut and wait and see what happens.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 15-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Kristen

Ok, thanks for the tips! We'll have somebody come look at it as soon
as we're able.

Thanks,

Kristen