Old 16-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Broadmoor juniper

Does anyone know for sure whether J. sabina 'Broadmoor' is a male or female
clone?
Thanks
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 16-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Pam - gardengal

I have found nothing to indicate 'Broadmoor' is anything other than
dioecious, as are the vast majority of Savin and most other juniper species.
Monoecious cultivars seem to be exceedingly uncommon.

pam - gardengal

Old 16-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Stephen M. Henning

In article __2Uc.22045$TI1.3243@attbi_s52,
"Pam - gardengal" wrote:

I have found nothing to indicate 'Broadmoor' is anything other than
dioecious, as are the vast majority of Savin and most other juniper species.

But given that it is dioecious, Iris Cohen wanted to know if the clone
that is sold is a clone of a male or female plant. I can't find any
reference that tells the sex of any of the juniper cultivars. I must
admit that I have never seen any berries on any of my juniper cultivars.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 16-08-2004, 07:15 PM
David J Bockman

Dirr describes Broadmoor thus:

"A dwarf, low-spreading, staminate form which looks like a neat form of var.
TAMARISCIFOLIA when young, but the plant tends to build up at the center
with age, the main branches are strong and horizontally spreading; the
branchlets short and reaching upwards; the sprays very short, occurring
mainly on the upper side of the branches; the foliage is a soft grayish
green and is resistant to juniper blight; this clone as well as 'Arcadia'
and 'Skandia' were selected from many thousands of seedlings raised by D.
Hill Nursery Co., Dundee, IL from seed imported from near Petersburgh,
Russia in 1933; all have proved resistant to juniper blight; Zone 4; will
grow 2 to 3' high and 10' wide or more..." Staminate describes an imperfect
flower with only functional stamens, male.

Dave

news

Old 17-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Iris Cohen

I have found nothing to indicate 'Broadmoor' is anything other than
dioecious,
Monoecious cultivars seem to be exceedingly uncommon.

Please explain. We are talking about a cultivar, which in this case is a clone,
vegetatively reproduced. All the Broadmoors in the world are part of the same
plant. Therefore they would have to be either all female or all male. I would
imagine that there is no such thing as a monoecious juniper cultivar, since it
never occurs in the wild.