Old 20-08-2004, 10:20 PM
EV

Default Amazing Cherries and Plum Problems

I was totally blown away by the performance of a new Tehranivee
self-pollinating cherry that I planted in April of this year (zone 6).
It's a dwarf tree, and was only about 5 ft. tall when I planted it. I
was surprised when it flowered profusely in May, and shocked when
cherries began to develop. Some of them withered up and fell off, but
the little tree still managed to produce a bumper crop, several bowls
full, of juicy, sweet, crunchy, flavourful cherries. I don't know if I
just lucked out with this one tree, or if they're all this good. It's
supposed to be susceptible to cracking, but that didn't happen ... at
least not this year.

The prune plum is a whole other story. It was mislabelled as being an
apricot when I bought it in '96, and I didn't know that it wasn't an
apricot till it fruited a few years ago, so I don't know which cultivar
it is.

Last year it bore heavily, but dropped about a third of it's fruit
before it ripened. I lost half of what was left to various bugs in
various stages. And some of the fruit had what looked like crystallized
loops and nubs and dribbles of sap on them. What is that?

Last fall I pruned off all the water spouts that had grown and cut the
tree back to a manageable size, trying to recognize the fruit spurs.

This year the tree fruited even more heavily, but has dropped about 2/3
of its fruit, either green and shrivelled, purple and shrivelled, or
purple and hard. The crystallized stuff is on many of them too, and I
can see bumps and punctures on much of the fruit. If I get a dozen
edible plums, I'll be lucky. So much for the plum jam and the galettes.

I'm not big on pesticides and such, but will definitely be using dormant

oil this fall and next spring. Any comments, insights or suggestions on
the plum problems would be appreciated.

Thanks!

EV
I've added a picture of the crystallized plum stuff that I took last
year:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/great/viralbynature.html

There are pictures of the cherry tree in various stages, and some of the

other edibles in my garden, he
http://www3.sympatico.ca/great/tempee.html

Old 23-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

EV in :

I was totally blown away by the performance of a new Tehranivee
self-pollinating cherry that I planted in April of this year (zone 6).

dwf cherry :-)

quick google shows little. someday i might research further, but P. Avium
cherries are burdensome here.

Farm & Country November 2, 1998
.... Recent hits with growers include the self-pollinating Tehranivee and
the Vandalay
varieties of sweet cherry cultivars released in 1996. ...
www.agpub.on.ca/text/nov98/poshho2.htm

It's a dwarf tree, and was only about 5 ft. tall when I planted it. I
was surprised when it flowered profusely in May, and shocked when
cherries began to develop. Some of them withered up and fell off, but
the little tree still managed to produce a bumper crop, several bowls
full, of juicy, sweet, crunchy, flavourful cherries. I don't know if I
just lucked out with this one tree, or if they're all this good. It's
supposed to be susceptible to cracking, but that didn't happen ... at
least not this year.

The prune plum is a whole other story. It was mislabelled as being an
apricot when I bought it in '96, and I didn't know that it wasn't an
apricot till it fruited a few years ago, so I don't know which cultivar
it is.

apricots have different looking leaves (though P mume leaves are similar
to apricot's)

[...]

http://www3.sympatico.ca/great/plum2crystal91303.jpg
i don't see enough of this to bother me, and i've always assumed this was
a reaction to physical damage, such as insect puncture of skin. but:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...mmy+exudate%22
+prunus+%7C+plum+%7C+plums+%7C+apricot+%7C+%22ston e+fruit%22+

There are pictures of the cherry tree in various stages, and some of the

other edibles in my garden, he
http://www3.sympatico.ca/great/tempee.html

i think this page is western canada oriented:
http://res2.agr.ca/parc-crapac/pubs/...tr_disor_e.htm
Old 24-08-2004, 10:47 AM
EV

" wrote:

EV in :

I was totally blown away by the performance of a new Tehranivee
self-pollinating cherry that I planted in April of this year (zone 6).

dwf cherry :-)

Little fella with lots of fruit.

quick google shows little. someday i might research further, but P. Avium
cherries are burdensome here.

Where is here? :-)

Farm & Country November 2, 1998
... Recent hits with growers include the self-pollinating Tehranivee and
the Vandalay
varieties of sweet cherry cultivars released in 1996. ...
www.agpub.on.ca/text/nov98/poshho2.htm

Interesting idea about pruning into a pyramid shape. I may try that with the
plum.

[...]

I wouldn't have know the difference at the time. Still might not, not having
seen an apricot tree in recent memory.

[...]

I've been thinking the same thing. Also wondering if the excessive rain, and
relative lack of sunshine, not to mention the cook temps, haven't played a
role. I've taken pics of some of the damaged fruit and will post them on my
website in a few days. It might help to ID possible causes. It think there
are a few things going on. I found a little tiny white worm with a teensy
brown head in one of the fallen specimens. They were in at least half the
fruit I got last year. I might have eaten a few. :-)

but:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...mmy+exudate%22
+prunus+%7C+plum+%7C+plums+%7C+apricot+%7C+%22ston e+fruit%22+

Thanks for the links.

There are pictures of the cherry tree in various stages, and some of the

other edibles in my garden, he
http://www3.sympatico.ca/great/tempee.html

i think this page is western canada oriented:
http://res2.agr.ca/parc-crapac/pubs/...tr_disor_e.htm

The idea of a nutrional deficit hadn't occured to me. I will definitely amend
the soil. Can't hurt.

EV

Old 25-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

EV in :

" wrote:

EV in :

I was totally blown away by the performance of a new Tehranivee
self-pollinating cherry that I planted in April of this year (zone
6).

dwf cherry :-)

Little fella with lots of fruit.

quick google shows little. someday i might research further, but P.
Avium cherries are burdensome here.

Where is here? :-)

east of san francisco. much warmer that the coast. but there are upick
cherry orchards only slightly more eastward, slightly wamer.

apricots have different looking leaves (though P mume leaves are
similar to apricot's)

I wouldn't have know the difference at the time. Still might not, not
having seen an apricot tree in recent memory.

you can alter these searches:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...e+%7C+leaves+%
7C+leaf++apricot

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...e+%7C+leaves+%
7C+leaf++mume&btnG=Search

http://images.google.com/images?q=Ap...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://images.google.com/images?sour...=UTF-8&q=pluot

[...]

you can try google for the difference in moth larvae and beetle larvae.
(true legs, versus pseudopods)'
and maggots (fly larvae) look quite different. library book might have
photo book of pests.

i'd bet you ate plum curculio (larva), but google that wiht your local
search words. (canadian province, etc)

wiht our japanese plums, curculio tend ot cause fruit to prematurely
sugar-up, and those fruit tend ot drop early.

ive wnodereda about, but never experimented with: scoring, poking, or
scratching the fruit skin at certain stages of underripeness wiht goal of
earlier ripening.

The idea of a nutrional deficit hadn't occured to me. I will
definitely amend the soil. Can't hurt.

or test.

or chepaer: ask local ag ext about "typical" nutrient/mineral deficiencies
in (our) local soils

and ask about indicator plants or crops that usually suffer.

EV

Exposure Value ?

electric vehicle?

electrovoltaic?