Old 29-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Schizandra berries at last

Last spring I was looking for a male Schizandra [Schisandra, aka
Magnolia Vine] plant to help my 3 healthy looking, prolific blossoming
8-9 yr old vines begin to bear fruit.

Pam ) noted that it was probably listed as
Magnolia Vine & suggested a couple places that might carry it.

I hadn't gotten around to that yet when my long stretch of bad luck
started--- first my back laid me out flat for a couple months-- then
my basement walls collapsed & my insurance company has refused to
pay-- then my car began a string of expensive & inconvenient
break-downs.

All was forgotten last week when I happened to look off into that
forgotten corner of the yard where the Schizandra Chinensis vines live
& was greeted with the sight of brilliant scarlet berries on 2 of my
vines!

I've eaten a couple & hope I can locate a recipe for Schizandra Jelly
while they are still in their prime. Otherwise I'll dry them. This
years crop is only a couple quarts-- but now that I know the male &
females I'll start layering the females & make a bunch more plants.

I don't know which makes me feel luckier-- that they finally decided
to fruit for me, or that 3 unsexed plants could end up 2 females & 1
male.

Jim

[IMG] code is On

Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous? Earth Mother United Kingdom 4 09-04-2009 10:40 AM
chitting potatoes how long do last last ?? Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 4 26-04-2006 05:48 PM
[IBC] Cotoneaster - remove old berries? Jim Lewis Bonsai 11 06-09-2005 12:55 PM
holly berries hayley United Kingdom 9 31-03-2003 02:44 AM
Cotoneaster - remove old berries? MainAt Bonsai 0 20-03-2003 05:44 AM