Old 08-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Nudest

Default Please ID This Mystery Plant

Hello everyone,

I saw these plants quite emaciated and being suffocated under my lilac
bush 2 years ago. Unaware of what they were I dug them up in 3 clumps
and re-planted them in a vacant space in the garden. Since then they
have thrived. They flower in late summer/early fall and on a warm
sunny day, the bees (of both the bumble and honey persuasions) are
attracted in droves. However the mint is constantly vying for space.

I don't know what this plant is. Neither does my Mom, the
time-honoured gardner that she is. Can anyone help? Area is south
Ontario Canada. Image at:

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/Mystery.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Denny
Old 08-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Cereus-validus

You must be kidding.

Its Hylotelephium (formerly Sedum) 'Autumn Joy', a succulent garden hybrid
widely grown in cultivation.

om...

Old 08-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Basia Kulesz

Użytkownik "Nudest" napisał w wiadomości
om...

| I don't know what this plant is. Image at:
|
| http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/Mystery.jpg

Surely it is Sedum spectabilis (stonecrop)?

B.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:32 AM
David Hill

It appears that "Hylotelephium" is a sub species of Sedum.and means
'spectacular woody plant'.
The RHS plantfinder still refers you to sedum

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Cereus-validus

No.

When Sedum section Telephium was raised to the rank of a separate genus, it
was named Hylotelephium by H.Ohba in 1978 because the generic name Telephium
was already in use for a completely different group of plants.

RHS plantfinder is completely out-of-date for Sedum as well as many other
genera of plants. It is not a reliable reference at all.

Old 08-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Cereus-validus

No. Look closer and you will see many differences.

Hylotelephium (formerly Sedum) spactabile has a flat-topped inflorescence
and flowers with the stamens much longer than the petals. Also the leaves
are flat with shallowly lobed leaves that are alternate, paired or in
threes.

The plants is Hylotelephium (formerly Sedum) 'Autumn Joy' which has rounded
inflorescences and sterile flowers with stamens mostly absent or very short.
Also the leaves are prominently lobed and shell-shaped cupped.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 AM
Sed5555

I don't know what this plant is. Neither does my Mom, the
time-honoured gardner that she is. Can anyone help?

Sedum 'Autumn Joy'?
sed5555

Old 10-09-2004, 02:21 AM
Sed5555

now called Hylotelephium 'Autumn Joy'

Why so it has. Thanks.
sed5555

Old 10-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Cereus-validus

Despite the fact that the average gardener has absolutely no idea why any
plant is so named the way it is, I will tell you why.

Bottom line:

Type species for genus Sedum L. is Sedum acre L. and is a dwarf evergreen
perennial with connate kyphocarpic carpels.

Genus Hylotelephium H.Ohba (formerly Sedum section Telephium) are deciduous
perennials, usually with a tuberous rootstock, and with separate stipitate
(slender stalked) carpels.

It should be obvious that the growth form of Hylotelephium is very different
from that of typical Sedum.

Dissect the flowers and you will the differences between the two genera.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Despite the fact that the average gardener has absolutely no idea why any
plant is so named the way it is, I will tell you why.

Bottom line:

Type species for genus Sedum L. is Sedum acre L. and is a dwarf evergreen
perennial with connate kyphocarpic carpels.

Genus Hylotelephium H.Ohba (formerly Sedum section Telephium) are

deciduous
perennials, usually with a tuberous rootstock, and with separate stipitate
(slender stalked) carpels.

It should be obvious that the growth form of Hylotelephium is very

different
from that of typical Sedum.

Dissect the flowers and you will the differences between the two genera.

While this is all well and good in the interest of taxonomic accuracy, you
will not find these plants in the commercial trade listed under this name,
nor will you find Chamaecyparis nootkatensis listed as Xanocyparis, or
Platycladus listed as Biota or seldom Cimicifuga listed as Actaea or even
very often Clematis paniculata correctly labeled as C. terniflora. Old
habits die hard.