Old 20-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Perry Templeton

Default Iris seeds?

I visited someone recently. He had Irises in his pond. They had made some
pods. Inside the pods were what appeared to be "seeds". I have some of
them dried...they're brown and when dry and crispy, they break away to
reveal a black "seed". Is this really a seed? If so, what's the best way
to start these buggers off?
I'm in z10, south Louisiana.
Perry

Old 20-09-2004, 06:20 PM
starlord

I've never seen L.A.Iris seeds before, but as the iris are water type
plants, I would guess putting them in potting soil and kept most and warm
might get them to grow. Mine have never set seed.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
I visited someone recently. He had Irises in his pond. They had made

some
pods. Inside the pods were what appeared to be "seeds". I have some of
them dried...they're brown and when dry and crispy, they break away to
reveal a black "seed". Is this really a seed? If so, what's the best way
to start these buggers off?
I'm in z10, south Louisiana.
Perry

---

Old 20-09-2004, 06:38 PM
paghat

In article , "Perry
Templeton" wrote:

I visited someone recently. He had Irises in his pond. They had made some
pods. Inside the pods were what appeared to be "seeds". I have some of
them dried...they're brown and when dry and crispy, they break away to
reveal a black "seed". Is this really a seed? If so, what's the best way
to start these buggers off?
I'm in z10, south Louisiana.
Perry

Sure they're seeds. This page
http://www.gardenhive.com/q-a-forum/q-a-iris1.htm
has a typical recommendation; there are many variations for how to grow them.
"Seeds of irises that are normally grown outdoors throughout the year
should be sown in the Autumn. By sowing in the autumn they will be exposed
to frost over the winter season (stratified). Sow the seeds in trays or
pots of John Innes No 1 compost or similar loam based compost. Cover the
surface of the compost with sharp sand or grit to avoid moss and liverwort
growing on top of the compost. Place the trays or pots in a cold frame or
sheltered place for the winter. Keep the compost just moist. The seedlings
should appear in the spring. The seedlings look like grass when they first
appear. The vigorous varieties can be planted out, otherwise they are best
kept in pots or potted up into single pots for the first year. They can
then be planted out in the second year. The plants take from two to three
years to flower according to the vigor of the species of iris and how well
they are grown."

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 22-09-2004, 02:56 AM
starlord

Where L.A.Iris normaly grow they don't get frost, their seeds don't need the
cold.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ