Old 20-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Jeff

Default newly planted crepe myrtles..when to prune?

I've just planed three (~5-6 ft) nachez crepe myrtles...they need to
be pruned back as they are very long and need to be shaped (too
bushy)...when should i do this? now? winter?

any good resources on pruning crepe myrtles?
Old 21-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Tex John

Winter...if you just planted them, then they need the leaves converting as
much sunlight as possible to help feed the hopefully very active roots and
get the plant established.

John

m...

Old 21-09-2004, 08:24 PM
madgardener

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
I've just planed three (~5-6 ft) nachez crepe myrtles...they need to be
pruned back as they are very long and need to be shaped (too bushy)...when
should i do this? now? winter?

If you just planted them, I'd not prune them for two years and until they
get established. Too bushy is what they start out being. They've already set
blossoms on the next years wood for your late summer bloom. You can prune
crossing branches, and prune in late winter or early, early spring so that
the bush can recover from this. Don't over prune or it will bleed to death.
After two years of this kind of pruning when it shows it's structure, you
can remove a minimal third of the branches. Give it a chance to set roots
and get established. Resist the urge to whack it yet. Crape myrtles are much
more beautiful when allowed to grow into themselves first.

madgardener who has five different kinds including Nachez, and it's 14 foot
tall..................

any good resources on pruning crepe myrtles?

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

Old 22-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Wishy13764

They need to make strength thru the fall and winter. It also matters where your
located. If your in a mild zone and crapes live year round..then I'd wait a
couple of months, but if you live in a colder climate, then it would be wise
to do it early next spring.
Old 22-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Mike Prager

Jeff wrote:

I've just planed three (~5-6 ft) nachez crepe myrtles...they need to
be pruned back as they are very long and need to be shaped (too
bushy)...when should i do this? now? winter?

any good resources on pruning crepe myrtles?

Jeff,

'Natchez' is a large and fast-growing crape myrtle. In the
South, it grows to about 20-25 feet wide and high. Probably
you are aware of that already, and have picked it to fit your
site. However, if not, and that is too big, you might
consider removing yours & picking a smaller cultivar. It is
possible to prune almost anything to a smaller size, but it
takes constant work and it weakens the plant, which will never
look its best.

I would suggest not "shaping" a crape, if by that you mean
taking bit off everything. They wind up looking worse for it.
I suggest waiting a couple of years for it to get established,
then shape by cutting out entire branches if necessary to get
a pleasing vase shape. In particular, crossing or rubbing
branches should be removed. Also, remove unwanted shoots
(suckers) from the base. I prune them in late winter. It's
easier to judge the form when the leaves are off the tree.

An nice guide to pruning and training generally is "Pruning
and Training" put out by The American Horticultural Society.
Authors are C. Brickell and D. Joyce. (c) 1996.

The above says "In cooler areas ... especially northern areas
with short growing seasons, thin to allow light and air into
the center of the tree to discourage disease." I would take
that to be zone 6 and north.

I hope that helps.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

[IMG] code is On

Pruning Crepe Myrtles Cindy Gardening 10 03-09-2004 11:54 PM
Japanese Crepe Myrtles RoyDMercer Texas 0 27-06-2004 07:17 PM
Japanese Crepe Myrtles RoyDMercer Lawns 0 27-06-2004 07:17 PM
crepe myrtles heppiechik Gardening 8 19-09-2003 02:02 AM
mini crepe myrtles David J. Bockman Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM