Old 29-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Cindy

Default Pruning Crepe Myrtles

I was just wondering when to puine my crepes. This is the first time they
have bloomed since being planted last year and I want to get more profuse
blooms next year.

TIA

Cindy
--
All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

Old 29-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Betsy

I don't think that pruning has any effect on blooming at all! Yours are
just young.

Prune to the tree you want, i.e. cut out whole branches until you have a
single stem, or a multi stem tree, or just leave it alone. Crape myrtles
are just about foolproof!

BTW, don't even think about shaping it by "shearing" or topping. That
indeed will affect blooming--adversely.

. ..

Old 29-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Roy

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:43:34 -0400, "Cindy"
wrote:

===
===I was just wondering when to puine my crepes. This is the first time they
===have bloomed since being planted last year and I want to get more profuse
===blooms next year.
===
===TIA
===
===
===Cindy

Contrary to what everyone else has said, and to which I do agree with,
around in my area (south central Alabama) folks prune crepes any time
of the year and it never sets them back or phases them in the least.
They are a very hardy tree in this area. Seen em get mowed down by
grass cutters cutting the right of ways on the main streets intown,
run over, and a whole host of other things, and they always come right
back.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 30-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

I was just wondering when to puine my crepes. This is the first time they
have bloomed since being planted last year and I want to get more profuse
blooms next year.

Prune during the dormant season (Jan/Feb in the US) before new growth
has begun. However, flowers form on *all* new growth, so pruning
really isn't necessary except to shape the tree/shrub or to remove
crossing interior branches which are rubbing.
Old 30-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Cindy

Prune during the dormant season (Jan/Feb in the US) before new growth
has begun. However, flowers form on *all* new growth, so pruning
really isn't necessary except to shape the tree/shrub or to remove
crossing interior branches which are rubbing.

So I take it that pruning would actually help with the profileration of new
blooms?

Cindy

Old 31-08-2004, 04:31 PM
John T. Jarrett

No, just makes a more compact bush instead of letting it grow out into
a 20-trunked 25 foot tall and 25 foot around tree over a many year
period.

John

.. .

Old 31-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:01:31 -0400, "Cindy"
wrote:

Prune during the dormant season (Jan/Feb in the US) before new growth
has begun. However, flowers form on *all* new growth, so pruning
really isn't necessary except to shape the tree/shrub or to remove
crossing interior branches which are rubbing.

So I take it that pruning would actually help with the profileration of new
blooms?

It sounds as if you are becomming interested in crape murder. Crape
Myrtles flower on new growth. Normally, each branch puts out new
growth each year, and hence there are plenty of blooms. If you prune,
the cut places may put out more than one new twig, and thus, more
blooms. However, after a few years of this, the places that have been
repeatedly cut will form ugly callouses and look like the very devil.

If you prune, prune for the shape and health of the tree. A happy
Crape Myrtle will be covered in blossoms for months without trying to
'force' more bloom. I just checked some photo files that show trees on
my street in profuse bloom on July 1st. I'll post a pic of a couple
that I just went out and shot in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. These
are no-prune trees.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:05 AM
Cindy

I have a huge DaVinci butterfly bush that has started the lean over from the
weight and I would like to know if and when I need to prune this back.

Cindy

Old 01-09-2004, 04:16 AM
paghat

In article , "Cindy"
wrote:

I have a huge DaVinci butterfly bush that has started the lean over from the
weight and I would like to know if and when I need to prune this back.

Cindy

I never heard ofa "DaVinci" butterfly bush. If it's a variety of Budleia
davidii, it is very amenable to being hard-pruned. They are also naturally
fountaining in structure, so you will never stop its limbs from leaning
down.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 01-09-2004, 10:42 PM
GrampysGurl

I have a huge DaVinci butterfly bush that has started the lean over from the
weight and I would like to know if and when I need to prune this back.

Cindy

I prune mine back every late February or early March.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

Old 03-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Cindy

Thanks pag,
I should have stated that this is a tri-colored Budleia, Lovely white,
pink and lavender all on the same bush. The tag stated it was call a
DaVinci.

Cindy

--
All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.
"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Cindy"
wrote:

I have a huge DaVinci butterfly bush that has started the lean over from

the
weight and I would like to know if and when I need to prune this back.

Cindy

I never heard ofa "DaVinci" butterfly bush. If it's a variety of Budleia
davidii, it is very amenable to being hard-pruned. They are also naturally
fountaining in structure, so you will never stop its limbs from leaning
down.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

[IMG] code is On

Pruning new crepe myrtles Mike in NC Gardening 0 13-03-2006 10:52 PM
Pruning new crepe myrtles John A. Keslick, Jr. Gardening 0 12-03-2006 10:32 PM
Pruning new crepe myrtles Treedweller Gardening 0 10-03-2006 06:32 PM
crepe myrtles heppiechik Gardening 8 19-09-2003 02:02 AM
mini crepe myrtles David J. Bockman Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM