Old 24-09-2004, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

Default unexpected behavior of grass started from mixed seed

On 23 Sep 2004 20:50:14 GMT, RPG wrote:
How long should it take for fescue and bluegrass to sprout? Could I have
done something wrong? I am not completely unfamiliar with starting grass
from seed, I raked lightly and am watering twice a day. I have done it
before in a previous home with much more success.

Under optimum germination conditions, I'd expect to see some of the Ky bluegrass
start to germinate in 8-10 days. IIRC, we did final germination counts
at 28 days in the seed lab, and fine fescues at 21. That was with the
optimal period of prechilling, and with the optimal temperature swings
(day and night) for germination. Ky bluegrass and fine fescues are
show delayed germination if the temps are too warm.

My suggestion is, "Patience, grasshopper". g

Kay