Old 17-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Dolchas

Default How/where should I prune dracaena marginata stalks?

Greetings all!

I have many dracaena marginata plants in my house, a few of which are
very tall (around 8 ft. tall) and which reside in large pots (I guess
over 2 ft. tall and 2 ft. in diameter). I THINK they get a decent
amount of ambient light. I am sometimes concerned that they get
overwatered -- I never water them until the top few inches of soil
(finger depth) feel bone dry, but when I stick my "mositure-tester"
wand more deeply into the soil of my largest pot, it records that the
soil is quite wet (though I never can feel it myself as being too
wet). Then again, I have another large pot which the wand typically
records as bone dry, even though I water it as regularly as the other
pot! And the ill health apparent in the "wet" pot appears to be
identical to the ill health apparent in the "dry" pot.

I think my trouble with establishing a decent moisture balance has to
do with (1) the size of the pots, and (2) the fact that sometimes my
plants are planted in the kind of prepared potting soil one gets at
nurseries for indoor plants (wet pot), and sometimes I amend that
potting soil with the regular clay-ish dirt that is native to my area
(dry pot).

But, getting to the point of this post: I have several dracena
marginata whose new growth looks tired and feeble. I have been unable
to fix them by alterring light and water conditions, so now I just
want to cut off the long stalks (with a handful of perfunctory fronds
at the ends) at some point and see if new shoots appear at the cut.
Where should I cut these stalks? Around the middle? Near the base?
How should I encourage new growth at the cut points? I don't really
care too much about propagating the sickly halves that get cut off,
but if do decide to propogate those, how should I go about it?

Also, are there any particular fertilization policies one can
recommend for dracaena marginata?

Thanks very much for any help! These plants provide an important
decorative element for our home, and had been doing fine for about the
last five years that we have lived here, and it is really frustrating
to see them go into this decline.

Chuck
Old 17-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Cereus-longispinus

From what you say, you have many more problems than needing to cut back your
plants.

The plants are most definitely in pots that are too large and are suffering
because of it. The soil may be stagnant, septic and killing the roots of the
plants.

Does the soil have a foul odor?

Do your pots have drainage holes in the bottom?

If not, all the plants will need to be repotted in pots the appropriate size
with drainage holes in the bottom and saucers underneath..

What do you mean by ambient light? Are you saying the plants don't get any
direct light?

om...

Old 17-10-2004, 11:57 PM
simy1

"Cereus-longispinus" wrote in message . com...
From what you say, you have many more problems than needing to cut back your
plants.

The plants are most definitely in pots that are too large and are suffering
because of it. The soil may be stagnant, septic and killing the roots of the
plants.

or they have been too long in one pott and exhausted one particular
nutrient.
But collapsed soil ( what stan sez) is quite possible. I avoid both
these problems by replacing some of the soil and add in a few
earthworms and some manure every year.

Does the soil have a foul odor?

Do your pots have drainage holes in the bottom?

if not, that would explain the bad soil. It should not be too much
work to pull out one plant, check that it is not rootbound, check the
soil quality, and replace some of it.
Old 25-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Dolchas

Hello all.

Here are a few updated comments in response to questions:

The soil doesn't smell foul at all. The pot has holes in it, and the
soil seems to drain very well. It is hard for me to pull these
dracenae marginata out of this large pot to repot them, but I did yank
them part of the way out a few months ago and added a pretty good
amount of fresh soil. At that time I was able to determine that the
roots are not root-bound. I have not observed any difference in the
growth pattern or overall health of the plant since I added the new
soil.

There is a large window (2.5" wide x 6" high) right next to this
plant, but we keep the blinds on this window about half-closed most of
the time, so this plant doesn't get much direct sun (except for the
bits that seep through the slats in the blinds). There are a whole
bunch of other light sources in this room (such as two sliding glass
doors), and the room is generally what any reasonable person would
consider "bright," but this plant doesn't get any bright direct light
from any source.

There are a bunch of VERY healthy dracenae warnecki in this same pot,
so apparently the light/soil/moisture conditions are about perfect for
that member of the dracenae family.

Chuck