Old 24-10-2004, 07:38 PM
KD

Default Gladiolas

Hi all:

Fall is upon us, and I'm rather new to the Autumn yard scene. My
knowledgeable father-in-law tells me I need to dig up my gladiola bulbs
before they freeze, to replant next year. I'm in Atlantic Canada, zone 5b I
think. Questions I have:

1. How do I store them? Little plastic containers in the cool basement OK?
Should I put them in some sand or something to keep them dry?

2. What about all the little bulblets that are stuck to the sides of most of
them? Pull 'em off and save them? Pitch 'em? Leave them alone to do what
they will?

Thanks!

KD

Old 29-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:50:03 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"KD" wrote

1. How do I store them? Little plastic containers in the cool basement OK?
Should I put them in some sand or something to keep them dry?

2. What about all the little bulblets that are stuck to the sides of most

By the way, when you dig up your bulbs to store them, some of the bulblets
will be left in the soil. In certain conditions, they'll sprout next season,
which may tempt you to leave the big ones in the ground next winter. Don't
do it. Don't ask me how I know this. :-)

^_^ Just because they last over one winter doesn't mean they won't
croak during the next. I had glads coming up all over the place, and
suddenly they all disappeared. Digging up is good insurance.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Hi Doug,

Leave the little bulblets attached. Take a look here for all you should need to know.

http://www.devonian.ualberta.ca/getgro24.html

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
Hi Doug,

Leave the little bulblets attached. Take a look here for all you should need to know.

http://www.devonian.ualberta.ca/getgro24.html

Newt

Oops, I meant to address this to KD. Sorry about the typo.
Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

[IMG] code is On

Stakes for Gladiolas Denis Mitchel Gardening 28 01-07-2011 12:57 AM
Gladiolas --- Thanks for the answers.... NC_FUBAR Gardening 0 29-07-2003 04:32 PM
rust on gladiolas Louis United Kingdom 1 11-05-2003 12:08 PM
Rust on gladiolas Louis Lawns 0 11-05-2003 12:56 AM
Rust on Gladiolas Louis Texas 0 11-05-2003 12:56 AM