Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2004, 04:40 AM
Dan

Default Need help with leaf ID, please (nw NJ)

Hi,

I was looking through the leaves along the road this past week, and I
noticed a leaf that was unknown to myself. I am hoping someone out
there could ID this leaf, I cannot find it anywhere online. Penny is
given for scale, the picture is very similar to the actual size:

http://home.ptd.net/~vstevans/web/LEAF.JPG

I am in northwest NJ, about 950ft above sea level. Neighboring trees
include northern red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, beech, black birch,
tulip/yellow poplar, white ash and many others (the idiotic neighbor
also planted norway maples). It is a mature (about 80+ years old)
carolinian forest, with hornbeam & spicebush in the understory. If
anyone can ID this leaf I'd greatly appreciate it.

One more tree question --- can sugar maples have yellow leaves, or is
that solely the M.O. of norway maples? I have dozens of trees in my
backyard, and the leaves are either sugar or norway maples. I was
wondering if I should cut them down, since they were all yellow this
fall.

Thanks very much,
Dan