Old 09-11-2004, 05:13 AM
Jing Luo

Default Question about spring bulbs

I live in Columbus, OH. I buried some spring bulbs (daffodil, iris, crocus
etc.) around mid Oct.and covered with falling leaves. But several days ago,
I found some bulbs already begun to grow with leaves coming out from the
soil. Will these bulbs die in the winter? Did I plant these bulbs too early?
When is the most suitable time to bury spring bulbs in my area?

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Cereus-validus.

Fooled ya, eh?

Some spring bulbs naturally produce their foliage in the late autumn. Its
normal for them and the leaves typically suffer no damage from winter cold.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Jing Luo

Thanks a lot. It's my first time to grow bulbs so I don't know this kind of
stuff. Is there anything I can do to protect them for the frozen weather in
winter?

. com...

Old 09-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Sterling

Cereus-validus. wrote:
Fooled ya, eh?

Some spring bulbs naturally produce their foliage in the late autumn. Its
normal for them and the leaves typically suffer no damage from winter cold.

I think this is a survival issue. The green tops come up as a marker in
the fall to inform the wild gardener NOT to dig like mad to put new
bulbs in THAT space.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Cereus-validus.

They don't need any protection. They have been doing it for millions of
years in the wild without protection. They are well adapted to the cold.

There really should be a list of bulbs that produce their foliage in that
autumn so that new growers don't panic every year when this happens.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Cereus-validus.

Yeah, except many of the ones that produce their foliage in the autumn tend
to be rapid spreaders and weedy!!!

Its more likely its a strategy to dominate all the others in the immediate
area by getting a very early head start.

You are right that many gardeners tend to over plant and they need a not so
subtle reminder when to stop.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:22 PM
madgardener

Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect." Chief Seattle
"Cereus-validus." wrote in message
news
Yeah, except many of the ones that produce their foliage in the autumn

tend
to be rapid spreaders and weedy!!!

Its more likely its a strategy to dominate all the others in the immediate
area by getting a very early head start.

You are right that many gardeners tend to over plant and they need a not

so
subtle reminder when to stop.

well in MY case, I need a not so subtle reminder to not over plant. It's
too easy to do, forgetting that crowding just dimishes the flowers after the
first year, and really over crowding kills bulbs that are packed too tightly
together. (like in those containers they picture in Dutch Gardens catalog
books, layering bulbs like narcissus, with smaller above those and even
smaller above THOSE.......the containers look fine the first year, but
unless you tip out those bulbs afterwards of blooming, and individually
plant those bulbs, you might as well trash the whole container as the
crowding affects the life of the bulbs. I found this out the most painful
hard way.

I planted a whole area of layered bulbs, which worked the first two years
but since these were planted in an area in the ground (I actually raised the
bed up two foot to do this) I never thought about the consequences.
Needless to say, $300 worth of really cool and diverse bulbs have killed off
each other and only a sparce few alliums remain of all of them. Not even the
iron clad narcissus remained after the second year..........just goes to
show ya, that even madgardener can screw up! gbseg

[IMG] code is On

Spring Bulbs Shooting - Question Martin United Kingdom 3 01-12-2006 10:54 AM
Water & fertilize bulbs in spring or fall? Pelvis Popcan Gardening 4 08-08-2003 11:22 PM
spring bulbs miklol United Kingdom 2 25-05-2003 01:56 PM
Storage for spring bulbs? Mick709 Gardening 1 08-03-2003 10:56 PM
Spring Bulbs Greg Gardening 2 04-02-2003 02:48 AM