Old 10-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Ana

Default Different types of mulch

How can a person tell which one is best?

If the information about a plant calls for mulching with wood chips, does
it make a difference if one uses cypress, eucalyptus or something else?
How about the colored ones?

On a similar subject, do lava rocks and/or other (maybe heavier) rocks
do anything to hold moisture for the plants they surround or are they just
useful as weed barrier.?

thanks

Ana

Old 10-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ana" wrote in message
How can a person tell which one is best?

If the information about a plant calls for mulching with wood chips, does
it make a difference if one uses cypress, eucalyptus or something else?
How about the colored ones?

On a similar subject, do lava rocks and/or other (maybe heavier) rocks
do anything to hold moisture for the plants they surround or are they just
useful as weed barrier.?

thanks

Ana

Based on my experience, it takes 12.6 million years for the colored ones to
weather to a natural looking color. If you like ugly, that's the stuff to
buy.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:39:19 -0600, "Ana" wrote:

How can a person tell which one is best?

If the information about a plant calls for mulching with wood chips, does
it make a difference if one uses cypress, eucalyptus or something else?
How about the colored ones?

On a similar subject, do lava rocks and/or other (maybe heavier) rocks
do anything to hold moisture for the plants they surround or are they just
useful as weed barrier.?

thanks

Ana

Depends on what you are mulching. I'd probably be wary of
eucalyptus, but cypress, white oak, cedar, teak, redwood are woods
that are rot-resistant. Other wood chips will decompose faster and
provide more nutrients for the plants being mulched. Inorganic
mulches may be good for appearance, but perhaps better than no mulch
at all. I use any kind wood chips available. My favorite mulch is
mushroom compost (aged rotted horse manure)--stinks bad, plants love
it.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:04 AM
EFUpshaw

Eucalyptus reportedly repells insects. That would be your first choice. Avoid
cypress. The cutting of cypress for mulch is not beneficial to our wetland
ecology.

Wood mulches are much better than rock mulch. They break down and leach
nutrients into the soil. You have to replace the mulch every year or so but
the old wood will decompose in the soil or in your pile.

Ed