Old 11-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Pen

Default Lupinus poisonous?

I have wild rabbits roaming my yard this winter, they've eaten all my
lupin seedlings -- which is okay with me. Are rabbits immune to the
poison or is lupins' toxicity a myth?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Timothy

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:38:34 -0800, Pen wrote:

I have wild rabbits roaming my yard this winter, they've eaten all my
lupin seedlings -- which is okay with me. Are rabbits immune to the
poison or is lupins' toxicity a myth?

As far as MRS.M.Grieve is concerned, the anwser is no. Follow this and
read for your self:
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/l/lupins50.html
Enjoy your day.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Timothy

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:12:49 -0800, Timothy wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:38:34 -0800, Pen wrote:

I have wild rabbits roaming my yard this winter, they've eaten all my
lupin seedlings -- which is okay with me. Are rabbits immune to the
poison or is lupins' toxicity a myth?

As far as MRS.M.Grieve is concerned, the anwser is no. Follow this and
read for your self:
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/l/lupins50.html Enjoy your day.

After reviewing Mr.Henning's post, I dug a bit deeper into this. I really
hate to spread incorrect/false information, so I googled over an hour on
this subject (besides, it's starting to snow again... nothing better to do
eh?)

As far as I can see, it's a bit of a sticky question. Yes and no or
depends would be my new answer. Agirculture and Agri-Food Canada states it
best:

http://res2.agr.gc.ca/ecorc/weeds_herbes/fam48_e.htm

"Because of the difficulty in identifying lupines, literature reports of
poisonous species are difficult to interpret. Moreover, under varying
seasonal and edaphic conditions, the toxicity of particular plants can
change, making prediction of poisoning uncertain. Consequently, all lupine
species in Canada must be considered potentially poisonous, but only four
species are included in this inventory."

So if you have the complete latin name of your lupin, then we would be
able to determine for sure.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

Old 12-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Salty Thumb

Timothy wrote in
news:1105488334.4e11b3f1015552936403ad4ca0d36a08@t eranews:

[...]

Maybe the rabbits just have enough sense to eat them when they are not
poisonous.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 AM
Timothy

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:09:19 +0000, Salty Thumb wrote:

Maybe the rabbits just have enough sense to eat them when they are not
poisonous.

This quite possible... or they're starving and they'll eat anything at the
moment. Or this lupin is not poisonous or less poisonous due to the
season..etc. It's really hard to say. Guess Pen should keep an eye out for
sick/dead rabbits.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 12-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Pen wrote:
I have wild rabbits roaming my yard this winter, they've eaten all my
lupin seedlings -- which is okay with me. Are rabbits immune to the
poison or is lupins' toxicity a myth?

Sometimes it takes a bit of growth to make and store plant toxins in
the tissues so perhaps these rabbits were ok. Also because the rabbits
were not confined with the plants and have a wide and varied diet they
probably escaped harm. When you pen animals up with toxic plants is
when you have the most poisonings because after they graze their
favored plants they have nothing left and tend to consume a large dose
of the toxic plants. A bite of this and a bite of that is far less
dangerous than all of one or another plant at a time.
Lupins are not good for cattle.

[IMG] code is On

Lupinus poisonous? Pen Gardening 1 13-01-2005 11:48 PM
Tarwi - Pearl Lupine - Lupinus mutabilis briancady413 Permaculture 1 18-12-2004 05:11 PM
Seek Lupinus mutabilis Nitrogen Fixation Measurements briancady413 Plant Science 0 18-02-2004 07:34 PM
Seek Lupinus mutabilis Nitrogen Fixation Measurements briancady413 Plant Science 0 18-02-2004 07:26 PM
lupinus arborea cuttings Carol Russell United Kingdom 1 28-09-2002 09:23 PM