Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 PM
pixi

Default Privet

Anyone ever transplanted Privet in January? I have a fast growing evergreen
privet that seeds itself all over the place.

I need an evergreen shrub to act as a screen so I thought I might use the
Privet.

Today (in Zone 5) it's going to be in the 60's. The ground is wet and
certainly not frozen. However, by Friday it will be down close to zero.

If I were to transplant these Privets, would they live?

Pixi

Old 13-01-2005, 05:53 AM
David Hare-Scott

:
: I need an evergreen shrub to act as a screen so I thought I might use the
: Privet.
:
: Today (in Zone 5) it's going to be in the 60's. The ground is wet and
: certainly not frozen. However, by Friday it will be down close to zero.
:
: If I were to transplant these Privets, would they live?
:
: Pixi
:
:
:

Around here it is a declared noxious weed, we have poisoning parties in the
spring to stop it taking over the landscape. Oh well to each his own.

David

Old 13-01-2005, 01:41 PM
pixi

Sorry about that. I have had privet for years and. yes, it does tend to
spread. However, I have lots of room and I intend to put it on the
northwest edge of my woods.

I have a small shack there that becomes highly visible in winter when the
trees and shrubs lose their leaves. I prefer to hide it.

Would someone answer my question please?

Old 14-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Hal

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:41:05 -0500, "pixi" wrote:

Would someone answer my question please?

It probably will live.

I live in Zone 8 and my experience with privet was to cut a bush into
foot long pieces and plant about 2/3rds of the piece below the ground
in a row to get a hedge. In a managed hedge it requires cutting
tooo often for me to appreciate it any more. Best of luck with your
efforts.

Regards,

Hal
Old 16-01-2005, 02:43 AM
James

"Hal" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:41:05 -0500, "pixi" wrote:

Would someone answer my question please?

It probably will live.

I live in Zone 8 and my experience with privet was to cut a bush into
foot long pieces and plant about 2/3rds of the piece below the ground
in a row to get a hedge. In a managed hedge it requires cutting
tooo often for me to appreciate it any more. Best of luck with your
efforts.

Regards,

Hal

Same here. I planted about 150' of them and it's hell to keep trimmed. I
planted North Amur.

Old 16-01-2005, 02:47 AM
James

"pixi" wrote in message
Sorry about that. I have had privet for years and. yes, it does tend to
spread. However, I have lots of room and I intend to put it on the
northwest edge of my woods.

I have a small shack there that becomes highly visible in winter when the
trees and shrubs lose their leaves. I prefer to hide it.

Would someone answer my question please?

You could use a match or plant a thick evergreen tree for the shack.

[IMG] code is On

A Privet Hedge Question Willy Skass Lawns 2 11-06-2003 07:20 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
[IBC] Unhappy Privet Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 20-02-2003 12:51 AM
Privet Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 03:25 AM
Privet hedge and camoflauge Micko United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 08:19 AM