Old 03-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Pepperqueen

Default Allergy to bee's

Hello again!
Yes to those that have asked my friend is seriously allergic to bee's. She
heard about one flowering plant she thinks it was called sweet gum??? She
wants to plant them this coming spring. We live in southern , Ontario.
She has plenty of shrubs, but would like to add some colour to her garden.
She would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks, Deb

Old 03-02-2005, 02:16 AM
paghat

In article , "Pepperqueen"
wrote:

Hello again!
Yes to those that have asked my friend is seriously allergic to bee's. She
heard about one flowering plant she thinks it was called sweet gum??? She
wants to plant them this coming spring. We live in southern , Ontario.
She has plenty of shrubs, but would like to add some colour to her garden.
She would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks, Deb

Sweetgum is a large tree. It is wind-pollinated & not particularly
attractive to bees. Its true flowers are barely visible at a glance, but
its prickly fruits are kind of pretty. Other wind-pollinated trees that
bees aren't too kean about include ash trees, sycamores, birch, alder,
hornbeam, elm, hazels, beeches, oaks. A very few wind-pollinated trees
(some southern species of oaks & elms I think) do attract bees to the
flowers, but most of these genera don't need or attract insects.
Wind-pollinated trees produce high amounts of pollen from which people
with pollen ellergies suffer. WInd-polliknated trees often have nearly
invisible flowers, but many have attractive catkins &/or nuts. And
wind-pollinated conifers have the cones.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 03-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Vox Humana

"Pepperqueen" wrote in message
Hello again!
Yes to those that have asked my friend is seriously allergic to bee's. She
heard about one flowering plant she thinks it was called sweet gum??? She
wants to plant them this coming spring. We live in southern , Ontario.
She has plenty of shrubs, but would like to add some colour to her garden.
She would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks, Deb

You can get color from plants with colorful foliage. Coleus comes to mind.
It does get flowers, but most people cut them off anyway. Caladiums are
great for shady areas and don't flower unless you are in a tropical area.