Old 11-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Ann

Phisherman expounded:

My neighbor has a Mantis. It started just fine for two years, then he
had all kinds of starting issues.

Mine has started just fine for five years now.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 12-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Joseph A. Zupko

I have a Mantis and the cylinder bore was scored. The repair shop said it
wasn't worth fixing. So I called mantis and told me to send the old engine
to see if they can fix if not I will receive a new engine for $75. That
wsa 2 years ago.
"William Brown" wrote in message
I had a Mantis and it consistently had engine problems after the first
summer. After the repair costs far exceeded the purchase cost, I tossed it
and got a Honda, which has performed flawlessly for quite a while.

However, for uncultivated clay soil, either of these is too small and
would take forever to do any decent sized plot. I would suggest renting a
larger model for the initial tilling, and add enough humus or other
organic matter to get the soil in good shape. Once the soil is amended,
the smaller tiller is great for tilling, or even weeding and edging.

luriko wrote:

I am thinking of getting a mantis tiller. It seems a bit small to me
to do everything claimed. They look like they would work well in
cultivated soil, but I am not so sure how they would fare in clay or
uncultivated soil.
Anybody own one or have any advise?

Thx....

there.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:05 AM
zxcvbob

Joseph A. Zupko wrote:
I have a Mantis and the cylinder bore was scored. The repair shop said it
wasn't worth fixing. So I called mantis and told me to send the old engine
to see if they can fix if not I will receive a new engine for $75. That
wsa 2 years ago.

Do they still have it?

Bob
Old 03-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Nancy G.

luriko wrote:
I am thinking of getting a mantis tiller. It seems a bit small to me
to do everything claimed. They look like they would work well in
cultivated soil, but I am not so sure how they would fare in clay or
uncultivated soil.
Anybody own one or have any advise?

Thx....

I know a lot of people criticize Mantis tillers, but I bought mine in
1998 and love it. I used it to build a strawberry bed in virgin ozark
rocks for my parents, at my brother's to till a garden at his new house
and along his driveway for border plantings, at my own home in Alabama
to refresh a corner of the yard that the dogs had seriously compacted,
and maintain multiple flower beds and gardens. Over the years, for its
size, I personally feel that I abused it. Often when I started a
project, it was try the Mantis, then step up if necessary. Well, the
Mantis is the only tiller I own.

I called customer service this spring to inquire about the lifetime
guarantee on the tines. I actually called them twice to get
instructions because it seemed too simple. "Return the tines, include
my street address for delivery, and thank you for asking, but we do not
require funds for the delivery of the new tines." I mailed the old
tines on February 22nd and received the replacements today, March 3rd.
I am genuinely impressed and thrilled with the service.

I currently anticipate being able to "wear out" the new tines on my 7
year old Mantis tiller. In the event that the new tines outlive my
Mantis, I would replace it (in a hummingbird's heart beat) with another
Mantis.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Greg

"Nancy G." wrote in message
oups.com...
Chop
I know a lot of people criticize Mantis tillers, but I bought mine in
1998 and love it. Chop

Nancy, didn't you know that it isn't cool to say good things about Mantis?
;-)

Seriously though, I have a Mantis tiller, too and I think it is excellent.
It has done everything I bought it to do and more. Can't wait for the snow
to melt so that I can get back to work with it.

Greg

Old 05-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Ann

"Greg" expounded:

"Nancy G." wrote in message
roups.com...
Chop
I know a lot of people criticize Mantis tillers, but I bought mine in
1998 and love it. Chop

Nancy, didn't you know that it isn't cool to say good things about Mantis?
;-)

Seriously though, I have a Mantis tiller, too and I think it is excellent.
It has done everything I bought it to do and more. Can't wait for the snow
to melt so that I can get back to work with it.

Greg

I love my Mantis, too, and also can't wait! But there's at least a
foot left out there on my gardens (