Old 06-02-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Jasmine

The jasmine plant I planted last summer has hardly grown. Is this
normal? It's in my front yard facing west. It's surrounded by African
daisies which by the way, are doing very well. I live in Pacifica CA
where it's often cold and foggy although this winter the weather has
been stupendous. Could my proximity to the ocean (less than a mile)
be a factor? I am thinking of getting another jasmine plant and
planting it next to it. Would this be a good idea?
Thanks in advance!
GFC

Old 09-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
The jasmine plant I planted last summer has hardly grown. Is this
normal? It's in my front yard facing west. It's surrounded by African
daisies which by the way, are doing very well. I live in Pacifica CA
where it's often cold and foggy although this winter the weather has
been stupendous. Could my proximity to the ocean (less than a mile)
be a factor? I am thinking of getting another jasmine plant and
planting it next to it. Would this be a good idea?
Thanks in advance!
GFC

Hi CFG,

There is a saying when it comes to perennial plants: "The first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year they leap." You don't say which jasmine you have and many are vines. When it comes to vines, they can sleep for 3 to 5 years or more before they put on any substantial growth, depending on which vine it is. It takes a lot of time to establish a strong and large enough root system to support all that top growth.

Another thought that comes to mind is that you aren't in a tropical environment and most plants slow down in the fall until spring comes around.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

[IMG] code is On

Jasmine Mick United Kingdom 0 24-04-2003 07:08 AM
Is it ok to put an ACER in the same container as jasmine? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 19-04-2003 09:56 PM
Pruning Jasmine Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 12-04-2003 06:56 PM
Carolina Jasmine Alan Romanchuck Gardening 1 03-03-2003 02:51 PM
transplanting night blooming jasmine Zemedelec Gardening 4 28-02-2003 06:03 PM